Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate My House (Long)

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    How long have you been in Maine? Winter is IMO not its best season unless you like snowmobiling, dogsled riding, skiing, etc. Summer once you get past black fly season and fall are best. That's a good time to enjoy Moosehead and the other lakes.

You should be able to order the mix from Ikea. Do you like blueberries? That is a big Maine thing. They even have blueberry coffee.

Are you working or planning to? At one point Maine was trying to recruit tourists to move there at its rest areas when you drive across the state line. That would be a good way to meet people.

I work in a less populated part of my state and even in the pandemic the local radio station is advertising lots of jobs. It is an area described by some as insular but I have not found it so, maybe because I am used to New England social chilliness.
    Good suggestions all, Yppej. We have not been here long enough and it is a horrible time of the year for me as I have SAD and it is very cold, although I think Michigan was colder. So not a good time for me to do anything, just had no choice with this one.

Am not a skier but there is a ski hill that we can from our house, all lit up, so that's pretty.

I do like blueberries, so blueberry picking will be fun. I work remotely, but would love to work in person somewhere once this winter gets behind us a bit and it is easier for me to go out. And the tourist rest area idea is a great one. When it gets warm I might look to work at a stable or a garden center, to do something I actually enjoy for a change.

Tybee: There are two Scandinavian stores in Portland, and I think I recall them carrying lingonberry products:

https://simplyscandinavian.business.site/

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Tybee: There are two Scandinavian stores in Portland, and I think I recall them carrying lingonberry products:

https://simplyscandinavian.business.site/
    Thank you, will check into it!

Yppej
    I had four issues affecting the saleability of my house, or my ability to live in it without annoyance and self-pity:

1. Rusty water - resolved. I took time off work and met with a plumber after DS wanted to limp along indefinitely. I had a meltdown after he said I should heat pots of water on the stove and pour them in the tub to bathe in. I said some things I should not have and despite my apologies he is not speaking to me. I got one plumber in who was bad and today one who was good and installed a new hot water heater. The bad plumber's boss promised to refund my money and said the check will be going out today, fingers crossed.

2. Electrical work needed - this got worse overnight. Very strong winds knocked an outdoor light so it dangles down with exposed wires. The previous owners had the idiotic idea to attach it to the house through one of the shutters and the shutters have loosened over time and sometimes flap a little in the breeze. It rains Thursday so by Wednesday I plan to cover over the light and its exposed wires with plastic trash bags and duct tape so it won't get wet. For years I have waited for DS to get ready for an electrician to check grounding in his room. A couple years ago as the electrical wish list grew I finally had him get someone in here while promising I would pay for another electrician visit when he is ready. I may have to do this again. The biggest problem is no power in his room and so dealing with that without his cooperation is difficult. I could bring someone in and he would refuse to answer whether the power is back on in there.

3. A couple acoustic ceiling tiles are caving in. I want to tackle this when the weather is warmer since if I take up the ceiling the house will probably get colder. Other parts of that ceiling have holes and old water stains (small and prior to several roof replacements over the years).

4. Kitchen is a mess with crumbling cabinets and countertops. The most expensive and likely last problem to be fixed.

So one down, three to go.

Jeppy, sell it AS IS. The way the housing market is, you’d probably still get something decent for it.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Jeppy, sell it AS IS. The way the housing market is, you’d probably still get something decent for it.
    I am looking at other homes closer to work but there isn't much out there. I continue to look. I would not sell unless I knew I would have somewhere to go.

Yppej
    Today my son told me he is applying for Section 8 housing. If that is what will make him happy I wish him well. We have had more disagreements over broken things in the house, most recently the dryer. A sensor must be broken because it goes for hours and I said either we should get a new dryer I would pay for or he needs to use a timer and get his laundry out after a reasonable time so it doesn't overheat and cause issues and also because it uses lots of electricity. He had taken it apart and worked on it and put it back together again and said I didn't appreciate everything he does. He has left and is choosing to spend the weekend in the car feeling hurt. At least it is not bitter cold out.

If he does leave eventually that would make it easier to fix up the place to saleable condition, giving me options to stay in it or move.

I figured someday I would have an empty nest but I hate that it's happening the way it is, with him suffering emotionally.

Jeppy, Section 8 has a very long waiting list in many areas.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Jeppy, Section 8 has a very long waiting list in many areas.
    I looked it up and that is true for regular applicants but there is an expedited process for the disabled. He did say he loved me which was so nice to hear. So there is that.
    Last edited by Yppej; 3-26-21 at 10:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I looked it up and that is true for regular applicants but there is an expedited process for the disabled. He did say he loved me which was so nice to hear. So there is that.
    I think it sounds healthy and positive, that he wants to go out and make his own way--I think in the long run, this will only help your relationship, and how great that it is coming from him, that he wants to move out to his own place. I have seen some very, very nice Section 8 housing.

Thread Information