Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate My House (Long)

Yppej
    Pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    wondering if I can get plain unstained wood cabinets made for the bottom and paint them myself. Then I could also redo the paint where needed on the top cabinets.
    A lot depends on whether the opening is a stock size. For a standard dishwasher, it should be 24". So you could look for a base cabinet that would fit there and provide a door (and door swing) that would fit into the kitchen. Since you're painting the cabinets, aim for a wood with a similar grain and it should be fine.

The one issue I foresee is the hardware wouldn't match but I've replaced that myself in the past.
    You'd be surprised where you can find onesy-twosy hardware. I bought the cabinet hardware for my house on ebay (just happened to find something I liked in my price range). etsy might be a choice, too, depending on the age of what's up there now.

Or you can get a little creative and steal from some drawers/cabinet fronts so all the hardware under that countertop matches and the stuff that's a close-but-not-quite match can be on a door or drawer across the room. Or in another room (our old kitchen hardware also was used in the bathroom and the linen closet). We replaced the bathroom cabinet hardware (out of choice; we thought the original hardware was fugly) and had several available handles for elsewhere.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Jeppy: I think it would be reasonable to book things like the furnace cleanout and then give your son advance notice, e.g. "they are coming to clean the furnace on 4/23, so you will want to do whatever you need to do to prepare before then." That gives some consideration to his needs but still allows you to move forward.
    For some reason the kitchen photos are really blurry, but if it's any consolation, it does look like your kitchen is in much better shape than my kitchen. My kitchen is a total disaster, but I'm really hoping to make progress on it this year.

Yppej
    He has handled the last three furnace cleanings and he likes doing it. He feels he has developed a good relationship with the furnace cleaner and really wants to take care of this again. So I see his logic.

He has dialed back a couple requests - said he no longer wants his own sink because he really wants a shower and if I won't get that he doesn't want anything. That is fine by me as I have other priorities like the kitchen. He also explained how he thinks the power issue in his room was the old air conditioner exploding and not the circuit being overloaded (though I think they could be related) and where the electrician would need to go in his room to check on this he is very sensitive about it. So if his theory is correct and we don't have to add another electrical panel that would be good, though we still need the electrician out to restore power. I am tired of tripping over the power cord running up the stairs. His room is also very cold and we had gotten an estimate for a fan that would direct more heat upstairs but he was never ready for it to be installed. I wanted that dealt with by the furnace cleaning company but now he says he likes his room cold because it is better for his electronics. Another thing I don't have to worry about.

So I am shifting gears to the kitchen. He doesn't have much of a mess in there and so getting him to clean it up would not be so time consuming, and RR I do plan to tell him they are coming such and such a day for a measure, assuming their prices are not too high.

Outside there are things I would also like to tackle but am picking my battles for now.

And I do not have a good device for taking pictures.

You seem to be moving along quite nicely, accomodating but also MOVING ON! Good for you. I've found choosing my areas that I can do without anyone else having to be majorly involved is empowering.

Yppej
    I know some of you like Ikea but I am reading the book Having and Being Had and just read a section about all the broken Ikea furniture the author encountered. She sees it as epitomizing throwaway culture.

I know some of you like Ikea but I am reading the book Having and Being Had and just read a section about all the broken Ikea furniture the author encountered. She sees it as epitomizing throwaway culture.
    I've never been to Ikea, but I have heard that a lot of their stuff is pretty much disposable furniture. I've heard better things about their cabinetry though.

Yes, their cabinetry is decent.

Their hard pieces of furniture are mostly drek.

Well, we have a piece of their drek and it's wearing fine, lol. Jeppy, if for some reason you decide to dial back on the kitchen cabinets, could you consider rehanging the doors from the other side (opening the opposite direction, thus having "new" wood to screw the hinges into? I realize that wouldn't work in all kitchens but we were able to change few doors that way and keep the cabinet -which is a crappy 30s/40s set in unit - our house had no running water when it was built, and no kitchen cabinetry as we know it (no electric, either, but it did apparently have gas lighting and fireplaces). Anyway, I like the crappy old cabinet, so we put a counter top on it, replaced the pulls with white porcelain knobs (love those, although VERY inauthentic, lol) and it gets a new coat of paint when I can't stand it any longer. We had to rehang one of the doors upside down because the wood had split at a hinge. Can't tell it under the paint, though, and it no longer has to support a hinge, so it's all good. I know when we sell, whoever buys will tear out the whole kitchen, so I'm only concerned with what WE like, not resale. Honestly, your cabinets don't look that bad to me, although photos don't always do things justice, I know. Good luck whatever you decide!

Yppej
    One door I put in the basement because it kept falling off and then the basement got water it in and I had forgotten it was there. It got all ruined. I think I will see if they can do just the lower cabinets, those are the worst. I am sure to do both upper and lower would be way out of my budget, and even just the lower may be as well. I also have identified some custom cabinet makers that are not part of showrooms. I don't know if they would be cheaper or not, but I doubt my sizes are standard. One is a gap where a dishwasher was, so was not designed as a cabinet space.

Thread Information