Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you value community trusting others?

Steve, I totally agree and we have had a similar experience in our city neighborhood for the same reasons.

The garages here in my city neighborhood are behind houses, we cant see them from the street. They are accessed by alleys. That is by design of our historic code.

In Hermann we will be celebrating car culture and very soon will be building a big ass garage attached to our house, highly visible from the street. It might even have more visual mass than the house. We even cut down two gorgeous sugar maples in the way to service the garage and our fleet of cars.

Suburban life, here we come!

I am not exactly thrilled with this idea of mondo garage, but it is what it is.

We walk everywhere around our community, talk to people and have lived here for many years. I feel people have their own families and don't need anyone else. I know if something happed to DH I would be totally alone. Even though we know lots of people if there were an emergency I don't think there is anyone who would care or offer to help. People are involved with their own lives.

Frugal, you don’t have any actual real friends after living there a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Frugal, you don’t have any actual real friends after living there a long time?
    I traveled extensively for my job for years. I know many people but would classify them as acquaintances not anyone I could count on for help. I have known people who have left here because it is not a friendly place. This is a small community and people are very cliqueie. We are talking about downsizing but have yet to decide where we want to live. There is little family so we could go anywhere. We will make a decision soon as we want to age in place and this is not it.

Wait, you mean there are places where people put cars in garages?? That's just crazy! We live in an area where most garages are detached, and more houses don't have them than do. In what I consider to be my immediate neighborhood, there are 16 houses and only 2 have garages, but attached (in one case beneath the house in the basement). But almost nobody actually uses them for cars. In our walks, when I see a garage door open, I usually see that the garage is chock-full of stuff, lots and lots of stuff.
    All kidding aside, if I had a garage, I would not waste that precious real estate on housing a car (or a bunch of crap). I would use it for a workshop and garden utility space.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wait, you mean there are places where people put cars in garages?? That's just crazy! We live in an area where most garages are detached, and more houses don't have them than do. In what I consider to be my immediate neighborhood, there are 16 houses and only 2 have garages, but attached (in one case beneath the house in the basement). But almost nobody actually uses them for cars. In our walks, when I see a garage door open, I usually see that the garage is chock-full of stuff, lots and lots of stuff.
    All kidding aside, if I had a garage, I would not waste that precious real estate on housing a car (or a bunch of crap). I would use it for a workshop and garden utility space.
    RR, one of the absolutes when I went house hunting was a 2-car garage for my car and the garden tools I would need. I love it!!!!! Never had a garage before for my car. It is safely stored, free from snow and frost in the morning; I step out of my car when it is pouring rain staying nice and dry unpacking my shopping; no competition for a parking space. Been the route of no garage because it was filled and used as a workshop by DH instead. Did I mention that while I miss DH, I love my garage? lol
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    RR, one of the absolutes when I went house hunting was a 2-car garage for my car and the garden tools I would need. I love it!!!!! Never had a garage before for my car. It is safely stored, free from snow and frost in the morning; I step out of my car when it is pouring rain staying nice and dry unpacking my shopping; no competition for a parking space. Been the route of no garage because it was filled and used as a workshop by DH instead. Did I mention that while I miss DH, I love my garage? lol
    That is wonderful that you get such great use out of your garage. Up north, garages are necessary. They are of borderline use here in St. Louis. One non-functional use of a garage here is that our car insurance goes down if we have a garage. The garage protects our car from damage and theft.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    One non-functional use of a garage here is that our car insurance goes down if we have a garage. The garage protects our car from damage and theft.
    Same here. My car insurance went down when I moved from the hoity-toity neighborhood to the "working class" neighborhood because in h-t I had to park on the street and here I have a garage.

A two-car garage was a requirement when I bought this house. In truth, the fact that DW's house before marriage had only a single-car tuckunder garage (meaning one of us would have had to park on the street) forever removed that house from my consideration as a place to live. Nice house otherwise but that niceness would never have made up for having to keep one car outside during the looooong winters.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Never had a garage when living in Wisconsin in old homes. They are all detached and far from the house if you have one. Our neighbor did build a new one he could actually put his car in. I have a secure underground garage in my condo.

Thread Information