Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omgosh, Antenna!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Maybe I will try another antenna hooked up to my old analog tv as an experiment. That would eliminate the internet.
    If your old tv is analog you won't get anything at all if you hook an antenna directly to it. All TV stations were required to go digital in 2009. The best way to be sure if your TV is analog or digital is by connecting the antenna directly to it and seeing what happens. If you get tv channels, it's digital. BUT receiving digital signals isn't the same thing as being a smart tv. A smart tv has basic computer functions built into it so it can download tv schedules, connect to the internet for streaming content, and secretly report everything you do to Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    If your old tv is analog you won't get anything at all if you hook an antenna directly to it. All TV stations were required to go digital in 2009. The best way to be sure if your TV is analog or digital is by connecting the antenna directly to it and seeing what happens. If you get tv channels, it's digital. BUT receiving digital signals isn't the same thing as being a smart tv. A smart tv has basic computer functions built into it so it can download tv schedules, connect to the internet for streaming content, and secretly report everything you do to Big Brother.
    Yeah, I have an ematic device that converts the analogue tv to digital; had those since digital came in all those years ago. We were very late digital tv adopters at our house. I misspoke; should have hooked up the ematic to the tv and the antenna.

Went to see if my tax package was on sale yet or not in the store (it wasn't), but did see a Roku stick on sale for $24. Since our 1st generation Amazon Fire Stick is starting to putz out, I picked this up. Looking forward to seeing what will be available versus the Fire stick offerings.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Went to see if my tax package was on sale yet or not in the store (it wasn't), but did see a Roku stick on sale for $24. Since our 1st generation Amazon Fire Stick is starting to putz out, I picked this up. Looking forward to seeing what will be available versus the Fire stick offerings.
    I think the medium priced Roku stick is much better. We have both and would not buy the cheap one again. It may not be a good comparison to the Fire stick.

Roku offers international news channels from France, Germany, the UK, and al Jazeera, among others--free of charge. I haven't seen that on the Fire stick. As al Jazeera is a personal favorite of mine, that's an incentive to crawl around behind the teevee to install my Roku.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I think the medium priced Roku stick is much better. We have both and would not buy the cheap one again. It may not be a good comparison to the Fire stick.
    Again, this was so easy to install and set up all my regular tv apps, plus some that Amazon wouldn't give me access. Am discovering the offerings of Roku TV, itself, and definitely am turning more Roku and less Amazon fire stick.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Again, this was so easy to install and set up all my regular tv apps, plus some that Amazon wouldn't give me access. Am discovering the offerings of Roku TV, itself, and definitely am turning more Roku and less Amazon fire stick.
    I agree. I'm rarely interested in movies or most TV shows, but I enjoy documentaries and news. From what I've seen, Roku is ahead of Amazon in that regard. And it looks easy to hook up. Maybe today.

Thread Information