Thread: Insulation

Yppej

Insulation

One project I am thinking of for my house is insulation. About 15 to 20 years ago I got the ground up newspaper insulation blown in but it has all disintegrated over time. Little bits of it used to float down through the bathroom vent fan among other places. So I don't want to go that route again.

DS sealed the foundation well a couple years ago so I am less concerned about mice nestling in the pink stuff, since we haven't heard any scrabbling around since then, but foam appeals to me the most. You spray it on and then it hardens.

Do you have this? Have you installed it yourself or did you hire a professional? If put on the rafters has it let the roof breathe enough?

Like a young child that can knock down a stack of blocks but not build them up, I think I could remove the existing acoustic tile ceiling, possibly could spray on insulation, could not without help install a new drywall ceiling, which is at least a 2 person job. I am a willing but limited amateur.

There are Mass Save programs through utility companies where from time to time they offer "free" insulation but you have to pay for a contractor they approve of to install it, you cannot DIY, so it is not really free.

Other then the small cans of foam, and professionals, who have the tools and training to take home and do it themselves, I know of no one who has done it themselves.
    Get the wrong mix, and the stuff doesn't cure correctly. Don't do proper prepwork, and your bound to have other issues. Spray a bit too long, (not know what your doing), have it expand more then it is supposed to and if it went down a hole, push off drywall, etc.

Yppej
    Thanks for your input Toomuchstuff.

Laying the pink stuff in an attic is easy enough to do yourself.

The mice nested in our attic between the bottom of the roof and the pink stuff. We've been replacing it with rockwool, which is also a natural fire deterrent. It's more expensive, of course, but that's us. If we like it? It costs more.

Yppej
    It's an open space with no attic floor or walkway to step on when laying insulation, but I think I could stand on a stepladder and staple gun the pink stuff to the rafters. It used to be a three season porch which the previous owners enclosed and the roofline is low.

Yppej
    The rockwool looks good also.

Yppej
    I emailed Mass Save to clarify whether they will reimburse me for parts if I install the insulation myself. I am thinking not. I read some horror stories of people who hired HomeWorks which advertises on TV as a Mass Save contractor, so I am leaning towards doing this myself but will see what they say.

Some issues were leaving big holes in people's walls, not showing up after the person took a day off work, selling ancillary repairs that turned out to not be needed, installing things incorrectly, code issues.

Thread Information