Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Yppej
    Used more of the maseca mix to make pellizcadas with salsa and queso. I still have a third of the bag left but have to get some more butter to use it.

Yppej
    I worked the holiday yesterday entitling me to a comp day I took today due to icy roads. I went to the cheaper local store and being a weekday and post-storm it was not crowded. I felt safe and saved some money on groceries.

I put new cheap insoles in my house-shoes. They are nice and comfy again, for a quarter (new in package from a garage sale several years ago). Keeping the thermostat down, even though it's COLD. DH is snow-blowing the drive with our free (from DB when he moved) to us snow-blower. It's too big for me, but he has no problems with it and it does a great job, even on the gravel. He's all snug in his fake Carharts (about half the price, and he wears them maybe 4 times a year), and his on-sale LLBean boots that I consider a "souvenir" lol since we bought them in Freeport on our last trip.

Other than that, I'm just trying to find ways to save that don't diminish our quality of life

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Other than that, I'm just trying to find ways to save that don't diminish our quality of life
    That's the key, unless it's for a short time with a goal in mind.

No stores. No online stores. No problem.

I just reduced my 2021 expenses by $685 by cancelling 6 subscriptions I don't use much: business ones like e-fax, and greeting card ones, and a couple of exercise ones. They were only $4.99-14.99 each/month, but it does all add up over the course of a year!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No stores. No online stores. No problem.
    for me that would be a BIG problem... no food for people or animals, no TP, no cleaners. . . I have stocked up but it will all have to be replentished at SOME point! We used to grow much of our food (animal and vegetable) but frankly that is a LOT of work, and not expense free, either. Prompted by catherine's post, I've gone through our subscriptions - 2 online papers the NY Times and WaPo, totaling $468. yearly. At some point we may cut back to one, but DD and I read much of them daily. I pay for three print magazines, totalling about $75 per year. Each year, when I get a re-up notice, we talk about it, and renew, or not. This year, I had slated one to not renew, but they asked WHY. I said, too expensive for what I get out of it. They offered to cut the price by 2/3rds, so I caved, lol. At that price, I WILL get my money's worth. The others we get are freebies from other family member's subscriptions. Our other recurring monthly charges are organizational supports. So as long as we can afford them, they will stay. But it's a good reminder to not just let those things go on and on without assessing! So thank you for that, Catherine!!

We bought a stove at Habitat to replace the horrible one that came with the house--ancient and filthy, although it worked. They told us the new one was tested and worked, but we discovered a couple of things that did not work, but we will put up with that to have a much newer, better looking stove. We used the cord from the prior stove and today bought two new drip pans for the ones that had rusted out (they had two new ones on there already.) It looks so much better, and all burners and the oven work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We bought a stove at Habitat to replace the horrible one that came with the house--ancient and filthy, although it worked. They told us the new one was tested and worked, but we discovered a couple of things that did not work, but we will put up with that to have a much newer, better looking stove. We used the cord from the prior stove and today bought two new drip pans for the ones that had rusted out (they had two new ones on there already.) It looks so much better, and all burners and the oven work.
    What's not working on the new to you stove?

Catherine, I hate subscriptions and hated when my ex signed up for them.

Thread Information