Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Work has a employee store for clearance and "damaged" items. I was able to get a new winter coat for $10. (My old, comfy coat has been around for double-digit years and is finally ready to be put to rest.) LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Great score, happystuff!

I am working my way through a new bed issue--need to find a mattress that fits an antique bed--and so far I have stopped myself from several over 100 fixes, so I will keep plugging away at figuring out a cheaper way to do it.

When we had a antique bed we hired a mattress maker to make one. It lasted 30 years comfortably. I don’t know if those craftsmen even exist anymore.

That sounds expensive. I did find such a site as they make them for rv's. Will have to price it, but was thinking of buying a full size foam mattress and just cutting it down. But I need a pretty primitive mattress to make that work, and not sure of the comfort level.

Quality beds are the one thing I have always spent money on. Initially expensive but not when you think about it being comfortable for 30 years for 2 people with bad backs. My sleep number bed is 17 years old and still comfortable. I am buying one for my condo and will never need another bed.

Yppej
    It is warm enough on sunny days I do not have to run the car for the heat at lunchtime, which helps a little offsetting the ever rising price of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When we had a antique bed we hired a mattress maker to make one. It lasted 30 years comfortably. I don’t know if those craftsmen even exist anymore.
    I believe Gardner Mattress Factory in Salem, MA does custom work, but it would not be cheap. I have always bought mattresses from them because they are good quality and locally made, but they are not cheap. I think they made a custom mattress for Hugh Heffner's private plane, and I always thought it was hilarious that my mattresses were made by the same company.

Frugal Fail: We were at CVS yesterday, which I tend to avoid because I think they are overpriced but I needed antibiotic cream. I stopped to look at the cards, because I wanted to send a couple of Get Well cards and didn't have any at home. I looked at one and said to DH indignantly that there was no way I was paying $5.25 for a card! He asked if I wanted to go to Trader Joe's, because that is where I buy all of my cards, and I said yes. As we left TJ's with a bunch of cards and some tulips and candy and juice and cake and some other things and a receipt for $53.00, DH remarked on how much I would have saved if I had spent the $5.25 per card at CVS, lol.

That’s funny Rosa!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Great score, happystuff!

I am working my way through a new bed issue--need to find a mattress that fits an antique bed--and so far I have stopped myself from several over 100 fixes, so I will keep plugging away at figuring out a cheaper way to do it.
    Tybee, what size is the bed? FYI...if it’s a 3/4 bed, a full size mattress will probably fit. I was given an antique spindle bed about 15 years ago that is 3/4. It came with a double mattress, but the woman who bought it (I got it from her daughter), had a custom box spring made.

Thread Information