Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Once I am a month past my 2nd vaccine dose I am getting a colonoscopy. It will be my second one and my last because of my age. My siblings are still getting them in their 70’s but I don’t think it’s worth the risk with the lining thinning. I didn’t have polyps the first time but they both did.
    I start the prep tomorrow and go on Monday for my first one.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    I paid myself first today, making my 2021 Roth IRA contribution including catchup. House, car, etc can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I start the prep tomorrow and go on Monday for my first one.
    The prep is the worst part. Do you have to drink a huge jug of awfulness or just 2 small bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    The prep is the worst part. Do you have to drink a huge jug of awfulness or just 2 small bottles?
    Docs need to quit the Go Lightly gallon. That's just cruel. My procedure was at 0730. I had to drink my first bottle at 0130, then got a nap and then the other small bottle. Much kinder and gentler! Suprep rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Docs need to quit the Go Lightly gallon. That's just cruel. My procedure was at 0730. I had to drink my first bottle at 0130, then got a nap and then the other small bottle. Much kinder and gentler! Suprep rocks!
    Yes, at my last procedure, I told my MD I was going to insist on a different protocol next time and he seemed receptive. Fortunately he also said I was good for 10 years, so who knows, by then maybe we'll be able to just rub our smartphones across our abdomens or something. I keep thinking they will surely come up with a better way and the people in the future will say, "you had to do WHAT??"

My lessons learned from the Golytely prep:
    Use a straw, as far back in your mouth as you can (to bypass taste receptors)
    Slice up a lime and put slices on your tongue now and again to make the nasty taste go away
    You don't actually need to drink the whole thing, 2.5 - 3 liters is enough (I think I only got 2 down last time)
    Use wipes and lubricant from the very beginning; if you wait until you think you need them, you will experience more discomfort than necessary.
    I don't know how relevant any of this is for the Suprep, but I share my hard-won knowledge in the event that someone else might find it useful. I took notes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

A question for you all - what percentage of your income are you willing to spend on medical? Is there an upper limit?
    Jeppy: That's an interesting question and I don't really have a definitive answer. We pay $12,000 per year for our retiree medical & dental insurance from my former employer. We have $600 per person deductible and $3000 per person out of pocket max (annual) on medical. Our dental has $100 per person deductible and pays a maximum benefit of $2000 per person per year. I would say we're spending $16,000 - $18,000 per year including out of pocket stuff for dental and medical. I would not be eager for us to spend more, but we would and we could if we had to. I guess we are fortunate to be able to say we haven't yet encountered a situation where we had to forgo care that was necessary or desirable on the basis that we could not afford it, but I don't have a hard number.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It's the Suprep. First dose 6 pm Sunday and second dose 6:30 am with 10:30 am procedure time. Nothing after midnight, of course.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It's the Suprep. First dose 6 pm Sunday and second dose 6:30 am with 10:30 am procedure time. Nothing after midnight, of course.
    Thats the one I had last fall. I thought everything had shifted to Suprep now. I wish you luck!

I also have a Cologuard last summer that showed something requiring a colonoscopy. This colonoscopy ended up revealing a couple of arwas to watch, back in 5 years.

The Cologuard kit was an engineering marvel.

At one point our HI was a fourth of our gross income which was a lot. Now my premiums will be a tenth. My deductibles are much lower and this will be my first year completely on Medicare so I won’t know until the end of the year.

Should be able to get into the smaller storage unit this month. Will save us about $50 a month.

Thread Information