Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calculating For Retirement

In my condo I will pay 1200year. The date the property was built affects it. So our house worth much more is only 700/year. Native Nevadans complain about property taxes which is silly.

One of the reasons we moved to Colorado from TX as new retirees was the vast difference in property taxes. Going from $10,000K per year to $1200 per yr has allowed us to bank the difference every year. If we go back, we will have to redirect the savings to taxes once again. Perhaps live in a small town vs the big city. Living in Austin as we did continues to drive ordinary people out as valuations climb monthly. Anyway...property taxes where jeppy lives sound reasonable by comparison.

Our city real estate taxes for a 1900 sq ft house is $3125.

our 1400 sq ft house in Hermann is $1,100 in taxes.

In one place I cannot send my children to public schools if I had children. There, I can expect a robbery, a gun in my face or some kind of crime on my Block regularly. In the same place rioters and protesters burn down important Historic structures I pay money to support and put in my will.

That’s the expensive place. I’m not sure it makes much sense any more to live there. I do love the garbage service the city provides, so there’s that.

In Herman the public school is supported by the entire town. Graduation and college bound rate is high. Very low crime. They have historic structures and they take care of them.

Ours are 1% of the purchase price we paid plus about $1600 in ‘special’ county additions so this year about $8900. They will go up 2%/ year for as long as we own the place.

I could see us leaving CA in retirement to move somewhere with lower taxes although it would be difficult for me to picture us liking somewhere else as much as we like it here.

Check out this retirement calc:

https://www.firecalc.com/

If you tab through the pages in the menu across the top, you can tailor all your numbers in great detail. You can choose zero portfolio growth if you want. You can choose your investments, if any (or none). You can input when and how much SS or pension income you expect. You can also input any lump sums you expect to receive or spend and when. Very handy, and I don't think there's any corporate sponsor behind it.

Property tax on my home is $7100/year. On the other house I own which my mother lives in, I'm on the hook for $6600/year. Combined, this is my biggest budget item.

Our house is about 920 SF and we converted it into a 1 bedroom. Our lot is about 6500 SF. Our property taxes are just about $4000 per year.

$3900/yr for our 1700 square foot house valued around $270,000 and $2600/yr for my mom's 850 square foot house valued around $145,000. I've included the fees for required trash collection, sewer charge, and street maintenance, all of which are billed separately.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Our TOTAL cost of owning 2 homes was $1864/month in 2020. Total means: insurance/taxes/utilities, improvements/replacements, truly all-in. Snow-removal at the cabin we consider a utility.

We think this is very reasonable for a city home and a mountain home a few hours away in the Northwest.

We have designated savings for big ticket items estimated for the duration of reaching age 90: major appliances, heating systems, 1 more roof for city home. We made sure everything was in good working order prior to my retirement in 2019.

I pay just under 6k for taxes for my 1600 square foot house. I clearly need to move to somewhere cheaper after seeing y'alls taxes. My town does not provide trash pickup.

Thread Information