Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: San Francisco

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,545

    San Francisco

    So I see the SF school board hasnít been wasting itís time in this challenging plague era. They are attempting to purge unworthy names from their schools. Washington, Lincoln, John Muir, Diane Feinstein and other such villains. I also read an article by a SF teacher objecting to Bernieís mittens as a display of white privilege. I wonder who is left in the annals of human history who would be acceptable to our new puritans. Che Guevara? Lenin? Lennon? Or perhaps just use numbers, as in Peopleís Education Facility Number 226.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So I see the SF school board hasnít been wasting itís time in this challenging plague era. They are attempting to purge unworthy names from their schools. Washington, Lincoln, John Muir, Diane Feinstein and other such villains. I also read an article by a SF teacher objecting to Bernieís mittens as a display of white privilege. I wonder who is left in the annals of human history who would be acceptable to our new puritans. Che Guevara? Lenin? Lennon? Or perhaps just use numbers, as in Peopleís Education Facility Number 226.
    That's exactly what they used to do: PS 5. PS 23... PS stood for Public School.

    This seems to be what you're upset about: https://www.google.com/search?client...X8JBjEQ4dUDCAw

  3. #3
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    10,966
    Stupid and a waste of money. Those people were a product of their times.

  4. #4
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,785
    Maybe we should get sponsorship dollars for public education from Big Business. Maybe having Citibank School or Nissan Grammar would be less offensive than naming schools after fallible human beings. Plus we could get private money for the educational system. I'm surprised Betsy DeVos didn't think of that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    This seems to be what you're upset about: https://www.google.com/search?client...X8JBjEQ4dUDCAw
    Oh, I don't think LDAHL is upset about anything. I think that like me, he's simply amused by such high profile foolishness, although I'll admit it's a shame historical purges are becoming so popular.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh, I don't think LDAHL is upset about anything. I think that like me, he's simply amused by such high profile foolishness, although I'll admit it's a shame historical purges are becoming so popular.
    As Elvis Costello once sang, ďI used to be disgusted, now Iím just amusedĒ.

    When you see a city that has trouble keeping human waste off its streets arguing over whether Daniel Webster and Robert Louis Stevenson are too morally deficient to name a school after, you have to wonder if weíve reached peak frivolity yet.

    These times call out for a new Tom Wolfe.

  7. #7
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,187
    OOOPS, I thought Idahl had visited SF and was talking about his experience. I loved my visit to SF!
    Once I started reading, I looked at the forum's name. More Simple Public Policy...
    Note to oneself, first check the forum's name and then read the thread.
    As Cicero said, ďGratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.Ē

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    ...and then read the thread.
    Or not.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,508
    It's completely stupid, it's also relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. What's in a name am I right?

    But in this challenging pandemic era, I think San Francisco actually handled the pandemic pretty well, Northern CA is not why California had a pandemic surge afaik.

    When I last went to San Francisco it was lovely. Work paid for it, ha got hotels I wouldn't have shelled out for. And I just wondered why we can't have nice things like they do there. But then I couldn't afford that rent so maybe that's why.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    5,054
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It's completely stupid, it's also relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. What's in a name am I right?

    But in this challenging pandemic era, I think San Francisco actually handled the pandemic pretty well, Northern CA is not why California had a pandemic surge afaik.

    When I last went to San Francisco it was lovely. Work paid for it, ha got hotels I wouldn't have shelled out for. And I just wondered why we can't have nice things like they do there. But then I couldn't afford that rent so maybe that's why.
    SFO has a big homeless problem. Feces all over the place. I have a friend who lives in the area and she posts lots of local photos and articles.

    Here’s a NYT article on the school renaming thing. Really, doesn’t the SFO school board have more important things to concentrate on. I’ve made no secret of the fact I lean right (mostly moderate), so it’s entertaining when protected classes clash and libs fight amongst themselves.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/u...e=articleShare

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •