Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate My Car

Yppej
    Mschrigo2 I would certainly consider something like that if the warranty is national and not specific to that dealership since it is possible I may move at some point.

I never buy new cars anymore. I buy certified used from a dealer and pay for a extended warranty. The miles are always less than 35k, the car is 2-4 years old and the price is much cheaper. I sell my cars myself because I get more money unless I know it needs big repairs and then I trade it in.
    Last edited by Teacher Terry; 2-9-21 at 8:18pm.

Yppej
    My son has stepped forward big time, saying I can use his car and he will take mine for repairs. He is a big advocate of repairing if the structure is sound (no rust as Steve said) even to the point of rebuilding the engine. I also got some advice from a car savvy guy at work. Fingers crossed.

Wow. I hope that works out for you and your son, Yppej.

That's another element of car ownership: being able to do much of the work yourself versus having to hire it out. I learned a while ago how to do oil changes and replace brakes and such. I'll still do simple stuff like bulb and battery replacements; I replaced the headlight switch on my car and the hatch struts on DW's car in the last couple of years. But for many months in Minnesota, the last thing I want to do is lie on the frozen concrete in the dim unheated garage, wrenching on something. And it's getting less and less possible to do anything on cars at home any more without access to computers and special cables and the like. So I farm out a lot of work, which means adding a technician's (deserved) profit to the cost of keeping the car running. Good for your son if he can get that done.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Mschrigo2 I would certainly consider something like that if the warranty is national and not specific to that dealership since it is possible I may move at some point.
    FWIW, the warranty for the Toyota is from Toyota, and good all over North America.

The Hyundai was warranted by Hertz, good all over the US. Hertz did replace all of the interior door handles when they disintegrated in about a year. Otherwise, that car has needed nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes, and a battery. The original battery lasted 8 years!

Yppej
    A guy at work was talking about a company that bought electric trucks. They went 300,000 miles only needing tires. He said that oil is a messy technology that causes disintegration. He recently got a battery powered chain saw charged by electricity that he likes. But with the highest utilities in the region in my town I am not interested in an electric car. It would cost too much to charge it, even if I had extra circuits in my house.

I have had such good luck with my Toyota Yaris. It just passed state inspection with flying colors, and it is a 2010 car, and just keeps plugging along with no problems at all.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I love living auto-free!!! Rob

Yppej
    My son took my car to his mechanic for an oil change and to check the pressure today. They didn't have a gauge or adapter to allow them to read metric pressure but did say the oil level and filter looked fine. They had no idea why when checking the OBD reader they saw the oil pressure light had gone on 20 times. They said they have to look at the car with the light on to make a diagnosis. However the light never goes on and stays on. It only flickers. I get the sense most shops just don't know how to handle the types of repairs needed, and I refuse to go to the evil local dealership. They said maybe the brand new sensor aka sender is bad though the problem improved some after it was installed. Supposedly old codes like these do not impact inspection, only current codes.

They are a place that is not hesitant to recommend repairs but didn't say anything about the brakes. So they may pass inspection.

DS has said I can continue to use his car and he will take mine. He rarely goes anywhere and never travels more than a half hour so likely will not deal with the pressure issue. So we will see if it passes inspection next month and then go from there.

His car is my old car before my previous car, and has 100,000 miles on it but better than the 123,000 I have on mine.

I am still going this weekend to look at some Kias so if I do have to get a new car I will have my browsing done.

I know dealerships are unpopular and expensive with many car owners, but in this case this may be where the car needs to go. Most independent mechanics don't have the money to drop low-five-figures on diagnostic tools for each brand they service (or even the ones they see most frequently) and OBD can only tell you so much. Rather than spend for parts and labor which may not be the fix and paying an indy mechanic to go on a fishing expedition, it may make sense to take the car to a dealership this once. Is there another dealership for this brand even a few towns away?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information