Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When exactly does Medicare start?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No I cannot confirm it. When I was investigating Medicare a couple years ago the penalty was in place if you didn’t sign up, even if you were not using it. It’s possible the rule changed.
    yes, I can confirm, so long as his employer meets the standard for coverage, which I think is by number? DH's employer sends out a statement each year that says it meets the standard so no penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    yes, I can confirm, so long as his employer meets the standard for coverage, which I think is by number? DH's employer sends out a statement each year that says it meets the standard so no penalty.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! (Can you tell I was a little worried??? LOL) I will ask dh to see if he employer has such a statement.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare...e_penalty.html

You must sign up for part D or there’s a penalty. Unless those rules have changed in the last couple of years. Even if you don’t use any other drugs, or you get your drugs in another way, you’ve got to sign up for part D.

You do not have to sign up for D now if you have the employer coverage that is acceptable. That is what the employer told us and that is what social security rep told us.

But hey, check again with social security, his employer, and one of those medicare helper people that you can contact.

https://boomerbenefits.com/medicare-...0aAnOTEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare...e_penalty.html

You must sign up for part D or there’s a penalty. Unless those rules have changed in the last couple of years. Even if you don’t use any other drugs, or you get your drugs in another way, you’ve got to sign up for part D.
    Thanks for the article. I think this, however, says the same as Tybee mentioned - as long as dh has coverage elsewhere:

The late penalty applies only to people who have missed their personal deadline for signing up for Part D and do not have creditable coverage from elsewhere, such as from a former or current employer or the Veterans Affairs health system. (“Creditable” means that Medicare considers it at least as good as Part D. If you have drug coverage from elsewhere, the plan must inform you whether its creditable or not.)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks again, everyone, for the quick responses and links! I'm breathing easier and have a direction to go in for confirmation. Whew!!!

Yes Tybee is correct.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Medicare starts at midnight of the 1st of the month in which you.turn 65. Rob

Thread Information