Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After the last year , What I learned

After the last year , What I learned

Getting close to one year later since I went on a huge stock piling event. I got very worried with Covid started the lock downs. I was home alone as Husband was deemed essential and stayed at work on the other side of country.
    SO I stocked up like I have never done in my life. I started before the lock down and TP shortage as I had a feeling. Yes I hoarded I will say and I am so glad I did, it gave me peace of mind, a feeling of security, a feeling of I never had to venture out when people were out. I was so prepared, I was very proud of myself. I had TP stacked and still made my own just incase...
    Today, I donated a few bags to a place taking food donations. I called it the Covid food I would never eat.
    What I learned was If I would not eat it before I probably would not eat it during a crisis or hoped we were not that close to losing it all! I also learned the same with my dogs, their regular food was no where to be found so I ordered 120 pounds off chewy of a type they may like. They did not, so I posted FB free and it was gone fast. I also learned that I will never be without a stock pile again, so I never have to be worried.
    That was just foods, I feel pretty good about the rest of preparedness also.

Yppej
    I learned my governor, who I previously liked, is a pompous, condescending, self-righteous, hypocritical, image driven dictator who only cares about the sector of the economy in which he made his millions and that he lacks common sense.

I learned that I'm a natural recluse, but I kinda knew that.

Like Biking Lady, I've built up a stockpile of necessities, and I have mastered food delivery, online bill pay, and USPS package labeling and pickup.

More of a confirmation and experience of what I had before thought I might like.
    I kind of enjoy having peace and quiet with no need to rush around; I need to see and talk to people daily on my walks and phone. Freezing food is and some stockpile is definitely worthwhile doing for peace of mind.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If I think of anything I will post it. This was one crappy year.

I learned I was very fortunate during these times to be healthy and retired with a simple but comfortable, paid for house. And I learned that I love to garden and learn about growing things.

I knew I didn't mind being pretty isolated, and this year has confirmed that. I learned that I did not identify myself with my job as much as I thought I did - frankly, although I totally enjoyed my work and had no plans to retire early, I have not missed it. I am beginning to better understand, on a deeper level, that we are/were *lucky* in many of the opportunites that were open to us, that allow us to now live fairly easily. But mostly, I learned that I'm relatively lazy.

The deepest lessons that scar the psyche are really dark ones. How mass death can be normalized and people can be so indifferent to it and not even care. How various people in society can be deemed disposable (the elderly especially but also those with illnesses, poor and minorities). It's real dark stuff. One does not get out of this type of experience unchanged, one can't and doesn't even want to unsee what they saw, or doesn't take notes of exactly the world and society they live in.

So that's the dark stuff, the ultimate stuff.

But meanwhile I had to live my life (such as it is these days) so ....

I learned about working at home, it has advantages, in some ways it's much more natural, but can be a bit lonely IF there is also a pandemic going on . I learned that most of my gas use was probably commuting and that surely points out the folly of trying to conserve as individuals when the social setup is basically what is forcing much of our energy use. Ok whatever I do somewhat conserve anyways.

I learned I can shop once a week and make do with whatever the stores have (from the shortage, which was frankly a very strange shortage, plenty of meat but no beans or rice). I learned some minimal stocking up on household products makes sense.

I learned life was too hectic before.

I don't even know my position on social contact which has been so lacking. I mean sometimes I have missed it a great deal, and sometimes i really am inclined to become a near entire hermit, ever more so. But in summer or fall or whenever we are all vaccinated being I'm not on any priority list, I will probably isolate at least a little less. Oh and I miss the gym.

And mostly yes this was one incredibly crappy year!!!
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I learned I was very fortunate during these times to be healthy and retired with a simple but comfortable, paid for house. And I learned that I love to garden and learn about growing things.
    That too--except for the gardening part!

I knew, but was reminded that sometimes you just have to do what you have to do - whether you like it or not; and that it is possible to find some positive/good in the midst of almost anything.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information