Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Cold Weather In South 2/10/21

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very Cold Weather In South 2/10/21

This 10-day forecast says it all. At 4 pm 2/10/21 it is 32 degrees in north Texas and it's going to get worse during the next few days all the way from Texas to the Atlantic coast.

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 15-59-03.jpg

And here I thought we were going to have an early spring....

Has been way below zero for the past week. Today went shopping because it was warmer (-2F). Snow is predicted again for tomorrow (have over a foot on the ground with drifts from wind) and wind chills Sat/Sun could be -40F. Happy Valentine's Day! Next week is supposed to include the arctic blast... meaning more cold weather. Three weeks of this crud is too much. I sure wish I was in Texas. Next year for sure!!!!

If the sun shines, I can handle anything provided I am dressed for it. It is cold!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We are in a ten day cold spell in St. Louis. But we have had such a mild winter so far, I cannot complain.

no sunshine tho razz for a couple of days now. Dreary.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    And here I thought we were going to have an early spring....
    You should not doubt Punxsutawney Phil.

Snow in Fort Worth TX this morning. Temps in the teens all last night and forecast to be in teens all day today with record breaking low of 6 degrees in the morning. This is my street at noon. No tire tracks. No Footprints. Nothing!

Wow. When was the last time you had snow?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow. When was the last time you had snow?
    We have one or two days with a light dusting or maybe .5 inch that melts by noon every year or two. But it’s been nearly six years since North Texas has seen significant snowfall. Dallas-Fort Worth recorded 3.5 inches March 4-5, 2015 according to this article: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weat...nches-of-snow/

Good statistics in that article and an aerial photo of snow covered Dallas. We get ice a lot more often than snow because rain hits cold pavement and freezes. Hail is a much bigger threat than snow or even ice. We get a lot of hail! According to http://www.interactivehailmaps.com/l...fort-worth-tx/ "During the past 12 months the Fort Worth, TX area has had 101 reports of on-the-ground hail by trained spotters, and has been under severe weather warnings 80 times. Doppler radar has detected hail at or near Fort Worth, TX on 159 occasions, including 17 occasions during the past year." And supposedly we're one of the top ten hail areas in the US.

One of my favorite phenomenons out here that I never saw in Georgia is Thunder Snow. The sky will be relatively clear with a thick bank of clouds moving in, and suddenly there will be a huge clap of thunder followed immediately by it starting to snow.

What makes our current weather so bad is the record low temps and the unusually long time we're staying below freezing. Pipes that never freeze will freeze under such conditions and snow or ice that normally melts in a day or two will hang around a lot longer. I'm overjoyed that I've been retired for a couple of years and won't have to get out in this on foot (my normal transportation is a motorcycle). I'm also very happy that it's snow, not ice. Ice brings down trees, tree limbs, and power lines.

Compared to yankeeland this is nothing, but the difference is their infrastructure is (hopefully) built and staffed/equipped to handle their typical weather.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Compared to yankeeland this is nothing, but the difference is their infrastructure is (hopefully) built and staffed/equipped to handle their typical weather.
    My personal infrastructure for dealing with snow in yankeeland consists of a shovel. (if you look closely you can see it taking a break between the garage doors in the pic above)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My personal infrastructure for dealing with snow in yankeeland consists of a shovel.
    I could kiss whoever invented the snowblower. With five feet of snow a year on average, an 80 foot driveway, and two other properties to clear, a shovel would take quite some time. I still need a shovel for clearing steps and doorways, though. I actually have two shovels: one of those standard aluminum-bladed models for the "detail" work and a plastic-bladed shovel for clearing the wheelchair ramp at my mom's/brother's place (metal would tear up the paint). Both have the usual straight handle; for some reason I never got the hang of using those bent shovel handles.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information