Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm feel betrayed.

I'm feel betrayed.

I proudly served this country and I am feeling very betrayed and ashamed of it right now. Yay for the 57... shame to the 43.

Enough said - I'm done.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy, it’s really disgusting and sends the wrong message. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I proudly served this country ....
    As did I.

and I am feeling very betrayed and ashamed of it right now.

That's probably not entirely necessary. I think the entire impeachment and Senate trial thing was misguided as the primary purpose of impeachment is to remove an official from office and wasn't necessary in this instance as the public took care of that for them. The Senate trial seemed to me to be a political maneuver to prevent him from ever holding elected office again, and I think that's something better left to the same public who removed him. I think that Trump acted shamefully but the actions of the House and Senate majorities were shameful in their own right in provoking unnecessary political drama. We should expect better from all our public servants.

I think that if the majority leaders of Congress really thought he was guilty of a prosecutable crime, it should be prosecuted through the legal system rather than a political one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I knew Ben Sasse personally at one time and he is a man of high principles. I am proud of him for standing his ground. Agreed this wasn't a worthwhile course of action but I am just glad it is over. I hope not to see trump's face again anytime soon.

At least now we know that the impeachment language in the constitution is truly as meaningless as the emoluments clause or the phrase ‘a well regulated militia’.

Personally I was pleasantly stunned that 14% of Republican senators actually take their oath of office seriously.

There is great value in him being found guilty. No ability to run for office again. As well as taxpayer savings:

By law, former presidents are entitled to a pension, staff, office expenses, medical care, health insurance, and Secret Service protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    As did I.

and I am feeling very betrayed and ashamed of it right now.

That's probably not entirely necessary. I think the entire impeachment and Senate trial thing was misguided as the primary purpose of impeachment is to remove an official from office and wasn't necessary in this instance as the public took care of that for them. The Senate trial seemed to me to be a political maneuver to prevent him from ever holding elected office again, and I think that's something better left to the same public who removed him. I think that Trump acted shamefully but the actions of the House and Senate majorities were shameful in their own right in provoking unnecessary political drama. We should expect better from all our public servants.

I think that if the majority leaders of Congress really thought he was guilty of a prosecutable crime, it should be prosecuted through the legal system rather than a political one.
    You are free to think what you think, but you don't get to tell me how I feel.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Open question. Does anyone here think the founders intended that a lame duck president should be able to do anything they want free of consequence beyond ‘the voters in the next election will hold them accountable’?

Jp, no of course not. It feels like our country and following the constitution is really degrading. It really makes me wonder if our democratic republic will survive in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I knew Ben Sasse personally at one time and he is a man of high principles. I am proud of him for standing his ground.
    I love his famous quote:"Politics isn't about the weird worship of one dude"

I wish he were more liberal, or at least more moderate, but he does seem to be a man of high principle, and for that, I really respect him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information