Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis and grip??

Arthritis and grip??

Does anyone else have arthritis in their hands? I have broken three glasses since we got here, one a really nice Orrefors crystal glass, because my grip is just not there how I expect it to be?

Anyone else having this problem?

I lack strength when trying to open jars. I remember this happening to my mom. I bought a gripping pad to help. I had arthritis in my little finger on my right hand and it hurt badly when I knitted. 5 years ago I fell and broke it. The arthritis is gone. Very weird.

That is weird-- but kind of cool and encouraging!

I have some discomfort in my hands but very little strength. Sometimes when I feel I have a good grip I find that I really don't. Mucho oooops going on.

Yppej
    Sometimes I have wondered if some neurological disease is creeping up on me because I am clumsy and drop things. If it is normal arthritis that would reassure me, but I don't have any pain.

Maybe tell the doctor about that, Yppej? I definitely have pain and swelling so was connecting the two. Simplemind, I have that same experience, that I have a good grip when I don't, and boom, the glass is on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Sometimes I have wondered if some neurological disease is creeping up on me because I am clumsy and drop things. If it is normal arthritis that would reassure me, but I don't have any pain.
    In my late 50’s I found my dexterity to be reduced. I would go to grip something, a small thing, and I wouldn’t get it!

Some exercises would have addressed that. Now i am used to it. Summer weeding, though, is good therapy for this.

I have horrible arthritis in my hands and especially my fingers. Sometimes I need to use both hands to lift a full glass. Also, I had to stop using larger glasses for my drinks. I guess my advice for you would to be just always use 2 hands to lift the glasses, and never use really big glasses. I used to see commercials about aids you could use for arthritis, like help opening a door, help with pulling your socks on, etc......and thought it was silly. Silly me! Now I need those very things. And karma has come back to haunt me when I used to laugh at the "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials. Now I could really use one of those help buttons!

We definitely lose strength/grip as we age if we don't work at it. You may not necessarily have arthritis. You can improve strength using a grip-ball and exercising fingers daily. (We used to call them stress balls). You can also get a hand-grip https://www.yogajournal.com/osp/best...ngth-trainers/

A majority of us will get osteoarthritis in our hands over time, nearing 90% of those of us over 50 according to several studies I reviewed. However, only around 10% have pain or ever need surgical treatment.

My 71yo sister is now using a thumb brace when doing handwork (lots of cooking/chopping or her knitting) as the joint at the base of her thumb is very uncomfortable.

I suggest the strengthening activity first to see if it resolves.

I have a lot of hand pain and my index finger is now bent and distorted with nodules so assumed it was arthritis.

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel on the other hand but that was years ago, and also "arthritic bone spurs on my neck" when I was 33, according to that doctor, thirty years ago.

Thread Information