Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arthritis and grip??

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I'm right there with you. This week I have dropped an astonishing number of things, the worst being a full jug of water I was using to water the plants on the high window sill. Well, so the floor below got washed at the same time. As some of you may remember, I've had a bad time with my wrists and hands in the past few years with the ulna-shortening surgeries, then the subsequent titanium plate removals, the torn cartilage, and now Duputreyn's Syndrome. I am glad I have my guy around to help with stubborn jar lids and child-proof caps (I had asked the pharmacy for old-people medicine caps last year, but I guess they forgot this time around). I also have trouble opening cans with a hand-powered can opener, so at some point I will probably have to get an electric can opener.

I am making a little jewelry, albeit very slowly. It takes me four times as long to make a batch of rings these days. And guitar playing is going very slowly. I manage about 15 mins twice a week right now. I have no idea if things will improve over time. I am a little over two months out since the last surgery. So frustrating, really....
    I got an electric can opener a long time ago........it really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Or how about pointing in a straight line! LOL!
    LOL! I've said before of my fingers, if someone asks for directions and I would point, they would totally get lost. My 2 index fingers make different turns at the 3 different joints in them! The tips of these fingers being bent is what makes picking small things up so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    The tips of these fingers being bent is what makes picking small things up so difficult.
    Have you tried using kitchen tongs? My hands are fine, but I keep a pair of tongs in my toolbox for picking up tiny screws, reaching into small spaces, etc.

Tongs come in various sizes, prices, and styles. Some have pointed ends, some scoop ends, some loop ends. Some are hinged at the top (opposite the pickup end) and some are hinged close to the pickup end like a pair of pliers. Take a look around whenever you're in the kitchen area of a store and you'll probably find a pair of tongs that would make picking up tiny objects easier.

OXO Good Grips tongs are highly rated:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Have you tried using kitchen tongs? My hands are fine, but I keep a pair of tongs in my toolbox for picking up tiny screws, reaching into small spaces, etc.

Tongs come in various sizes, prices, and styles. Some have pointed ends, some scoop ends, some loop ends. Some are hinged at the top (opposite the pickup end) and some are hinged close to the pickup end like a pair of pliers. Take a look around whenever you're in the kitchen area of a store and you'll probably find a pair of tongs that would make picking up tiny objects easier.

OXO Good Grips tongs are highly rated:
    I also own a telescoping magnet for picking my errant needles off the floor.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Good ideas you guys! I use those OXO tongs in my kitchen, but I hadn't considered keeping one in other rooms. thanks for the idea!

Thread Information