Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking a marathon

Walking a marathon

Have any of you done a walking marathon? Are you a long distance walker? Do you group walk or alone? Do you trail, hike or street?
    I have run and have done a 1/2 marathon, 10K and 5ks and still run but only 2 days a week my cookie runs I say.
    I am back to long distance walking. My goal is 26.2 miles over the course of a day. I trail/woods, city, rail road track and I walk alone. My general time of day is 5am and then afternoon. Today I did 13 miles overall and it was 10 degrees, not many bother me when its cold and early before daylight. I love it and feel my 26.2 will be sooner than later!

Wow, that is walking seriously. The most that I have ever walked regularly is about 10-12 miles and not often in recent years. I love walking and watching the seasons unfold, plants going through their cycle of life, birds coming, nesting and the leaving. I feel that I am living at one with nature. I have a friend that I walk with when on trails though so have not done long walks by myself.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have done 12 miles at once but it’s been 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have done 12 miles at once but it’s been 10 years.
    I did 25 miles once but it's been 40 years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow, I like to walk but am clearly an underachiever!

That is an impressive milestone! My fitbit tells me I walk about 45 miles a week, but much of that is just walking around the house doing stuff. Maybe a third to a half is intentional exercise.

That is so great! Good for you! These days my walking is done on the job, although I try to get some outside walking done. Even if my working situation was the way it is, I don't know that I would have the actual time to put in to that much walking and still go to a full-time job. But then I guess one makes time for what one loves to do. Again, good for you and good luck reaching the goal!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have unlimited energy I think

I just remembered that on my birthday 3 years ago in Kenosha I walked with various friends throughout the day and then went to the renaissance fair in Illinois. I clocked 12 miles and my knees went from never hurting to hurting most days.

Well I have not done the marathon yet, I get to the 13.1 and I get so board. I did several days of 1/2 in a row. Got to 18 one day. I will do it soon if just my personal gold star! I do have a map on the wall with miles/trail across the USA for a virtual walk. I am doing that.

Thread Information