Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is globalization over?

What the world needs is sourced from around the world. When one country can supply all its own technology, essential resources for manufacturing, etc., only then will globalization fade away. It may be modified as needed but isolation didn't work before and it won't work now to feed the world's population, deal with climate change, provide employment and so on.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Funny that for all this isolationism doesn't work (as if it even exists, I'd believe that if we weren't involved militarily all over), it's the countries that can manufacture their own things that do well. But Americans are supposed to be stupid and pretend that manufacturing everything elsewhere is the greatest thing ever.

Probably why we had mask shortages, we don't make them (by and large). But if we were South Korea the government would have given everyone high quality masks, because they do. Mind you we do have access to vaccines (yea slower than anyone would like but few countries are doing too well here). You know what happens to poor countries that are far away from vaccine development and manufacture? That's right, they don't have the vaccine. Terrible, but true.

Mostly though if the phrase is going to mean anything and everything then uh. If it means dealing with problems collectively through the U.N., then it may make some sense sometimes. If it means outsourcing anything and everything there is no way that makes sense, just the sheer shipping is wasteful. If it means flying all over the world for the heck of it, consider this: One overseas flight uses more carbon than the average person in the world uses in an entire year. Just saying.
    Trees don't grow on money

Still think the answer to this is "no".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My dil is vaccinated and so are her parents. She is going home for a month this summer. She hasn’t been there in 2 years.

I hope she has a safe and fun visit, TT!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The fairly free movement of people, goods, and capital across the globe. Rob
    To date, something like 87% of Covid vaccinations have gone to high-income countries and 0.2% to low-income countries. That's probably not surprising to very many people, but it is a pretty fair example of how global resource allocation seems to work.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    To date, something like 87% of Covid vaccinations have gone to high-income countries and 0.2% to low-income countries. That's probably not surprising to very many people, but it is a pretty fair example of how global resource allocation seems to work.
    Isn’t it also a pretty fair example of how global resource production seems to work?

I’ve heard the calls to renege on patent protections on the vaccines and proprietary manufacturing processes. But I have to wonder what happens in the future if we need the producers to pull off a similar accomplishment.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Isn’t it also a pretty fair example of how global resource production seems to work?

I’ve heard the calls to renege on patent protections on the vaccines and proprietary manufacturing processes. But I have to wonder what happens in the future if we need the producers to pull off a similar accomplishment.
    Probably the government will fund the vaccine research, as they did to a large extent this time, and also provide a guaranteed market by buying hundreds of millions of doses. I'm sure pharma is not happy that folks are planning to disrupt their plot to socialize the costs and privatize the profits from vaccines.

Too bad we can't just socialize medicine altogether. It would be a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Probably the government will fund the vaccine research, as they did to a large extent this time, and also provide a guaranteed market by buying hundreds of millions of doses. I'm sure pharma is not happy that folks are planning to disrupt their plot to socialize the costs and privatize the profits from vaccines.

Too bad we can't just socialize medicine altogether. It would be a lot simpler.
    Because we need fewer organizations like Moderna and more like the Wuhan Virological Institute?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Because we need fewer organizations like Moderna and more like the Wuhan Virological Institute?
    Maybe fewer like J&J, which subcontracted manufacturing to a company noted for dirty facilities and contaminated batches of drugs.

Thread Information