Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wisdom of Cosmo

The wisdom of Cosmo

https://imgur.com/gallery/aqaiqKW

Ah, Cosmo magazine, a girl’s best read. So full of life’s truths! It stopped publication in 2018.

As I was cleaning out our bookshelf today I ran across this ancient issue of Cosmopolitan magazine. It tells where to meet men. The article lists five places in the United States. Ames, Iowa is one of those places. It suggests you go to O’Malley McGee’s restaurant to find your man.

This is hilarious because I met DH at O’Malley McGee’s restaurant in Ames Iowa!

This issue was published about a year and a half after I met DH. No I didn’t contribute to the issue I just remember running across it on the library shelves and being gob smacked that they were so right on. Ha ha.

I thought Cosmopolitan was a stupid slutty rag, but apparently they were right once in a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is funny as hell.

OMG, what a great story!! Wow! You have to keep that Cosmo!

DH always bemoans the fact that with COVID you can't meet potential relationships in bars. I always thought meeting a guy in a bar is not ideal. But I met DH in a bar! So I guess there's something to it. (Port Chester, NY isn't another one of the 5 places to meet men, is it?)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That’s so funny!

When we were teenagers my sister was a devoted reader of Cosmo. I read it too--it was a window into what was then, and to some extent remains, a mystery--the female mind.

That is too funny, IL! I didn't know they had stopped publishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    That is too funny, IL! I didn't know they had stopped publishing it.
    I didn't either. Cosmo was something hanging on a rack with a whole pile of other paper cr*p and candies when one passed through grocery checkouts. I never could figure out who actually bought these publications. Anytime that I glanced through one at the hairdresser's waiting area, all I could see were ads for products that I never would buy anyway. Who did?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I bought the magazine occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OMG, what a great story!! Wow! You have to keep that Cosmo!

DH always bemoans the fact that with COVID you can't meet potential relationships in bars. I always thought meeting a guy in a bar is not ideal. But I met DH in a bar! So I guess there's something to it. (Port Chester, NY isn't another one of the 5 places to meet men, is it?)
    I love that story!

I was with two different friends in bars in the seventies on the nights they met their future husbands. Both of them are still married, presumably happily. Though I spent many happy hours (often literally) in bars, I never seriously dated anyone I met in one, for no particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I love that story!

I was with two different friends in bars in the seventies on the nights they met their future husbands. Both of them are still married, presumably happily. Though I spent many happy hours (often literally) in bars, I never seriously dated anyone I met in one, for no particular reason.
    I won't go into my "how I met my husband" story, but I will say that about month after we met, I broke up with him and was never going to speak to him again. Fate intervened when a week later the bar/night club we met at, Gulliver's, was the site of a horrific night club fire that killed 24 people.

I was compelled to call him to talk about it--who wouldn't? And so we got back together.

So this very tragic event had one tiny glimmer of a bright spot.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information