Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which has the deeper, longer term impact upon the United States?

Why the obsessive need to slot people into this peculiar binary? Why is it not acceptable to make a simple judgment of “pretty bad” without descending into perfervid flights of fascist fantasy? I’m glad he’s gone. I’m glad our electorate and system of laws prevented a second Trump term. But that doesn’t mean I have to view the whole thing in giddy apocalyptic terms.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Actually, I think Trump is the one that has to get over it.
    probably a lot of people from both “sides” need to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    probably a lot of people from both “sides” need to get over it.
    I agree, but only one of those sides is represented here.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree, but only one of those sides is represented here.
    I'm not sure I understand the "represented" reference. People post or don't post here as they see fit. Can't make someone step up and "represent" if they don't want - regardless of "sides".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm not sure I understand the "represented" reference. People post or don't post here as they see fit. Can't make someone step up and "represent" if they don't want - regardless of "sides".
    OK I’ll bite. Who exactly, name names, needs to step up to represent whatever it is you think is not being represented?

My comment about both “sides “in post number 32 of this thread refers to the world outside of our little friendly website here.

OK I’ll bite. Who exactly, name names, needs to step up to represent whatever it is you think is not being represented?

My comment about both “sides “in post number 32 of this thread refers to the world outside of our little friendly website here.
    See post 33.

IL, please re-read my post. I'm not asking who needs to step up to "represent" or that anyone HAS to step up.. I'm saying in a forum of this type - or any type, actually, people choose whether to post or not.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

IL, please re-read my post. I'm not asking who needs to step up to "represent" or that anyone HAS to step up.. I'm saying in a forum of this type - or any type, actually, people choose whether to post or not.
    Of course people choose what to post. Sure.

I re-read your post as you requested and still get the same message from it. Maybe I am wrong.

Are you saying this: Trump supporters are keeping quiet here?

Of course people choose what to post. Sure.

I re-read your post as you requested and still get the same message from it. Maybe I am wrong.

Are you saying this: Trump supporters are keeping quiet here?
    I was saying that - in response to Alan saying: "I agree, but only one of those sides is represented here." I didn't understand his "represented" reference, and I added that people post or don't post, regardless of "sides".

I was saying that - in response to Alan saying: "I agree, but only one of those sides is represented here." I didn't understand his "represented" reference, and I added that people post or don't post, regardless of "sides".
    I thought my "represented" comment was pretty obvious but I guess not. In the context of other posts leading up to mine, I was implying that there are people who seem to believe that anyone who doesn't engage in the same hateful rhetoric that they enjoy are obviously fascist, racist, totalitarian, (choose your favorite term), etc., and there are those who believe that sort of thing is silly, which seems to make them the subject of the others disdain. It seems that those who choose to engage here are more representative of the first. I hope that answers your question.

To follow up a bit on the paragraph above, I think there must be something about the anonymous nature of this medium that causes people to present themselves in ways they'd never do so in real life. As an example, I've been referred to as racist, misogynist, hitlerian, etc., as too stupid to recognize my own best interests, and a host of other negative characterizations in my time interacting here, while never experiencing any of that in real life. And not responding in kind seems to encourage it. It's weird.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information