Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has the deeper, longer term impact upon the United States?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Which has the deeper, longer term impact upon the United States?

9/11 or January 6th, 2021? What do you think and why? I am completely stumped on this one personally. Rob

9 11 united us for a while. 1 6 has divided us further.

9/11 struck deep as it was a terrorist attack and felt by a majority of us.

1/6 is a criminal political battle of crazed Trumpers trying to convince the masses that it was really the far Left in disguise. Although it is a serious issue to many of us, it is Trump's joke on all of us-acquitted he was, by 43 Senators afraid to move forward by pissing him off.

Yppej
    9/11 left everyone feeling vulnerable. 1/6 left people working in the Capitol vulnerable, but they were also targets on 9/11 but one of the terrorist controlled planes was stopped in Pennsylvania.

Progressive agitators blew up the Senate in 1983 and no one remembers it. This too shall pass.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Progressive agitators blew up the Senate in 1983 and no one remembers it. This too shall pass.
    Comparing that incident with what happened on Jan. 6 is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that, mentioning that event is less a comparison than a reminder that we tend to forget.

There seems to be more and more political violence these days, just in the last few years we've had incidents of attempted assassinations of Republican Congressmen at baseball games, rioters pounding the doors of the Supreme Court attempting to gain entry in protest of a duly confirmed Justice, regional attacks on governmental facilities across the country and finally the events of Jan 6th. Everything before that date is virtually forgotten or excused which tells me that this too will soon be a footnote to history.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

9/11, did unite so many people and left them feeling vulnerable that they were willing to give up constitutional protections and pass the patriot act.
    1/6, shows there will be bloodshed giving up constitutional rights such as free speech, assembly (when peaceable), right to bear arms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I think comparisons of 9/11 and insurrection on January 6 are not reasonable. Which is not to say that the January 6 incident wasn’t serious, because it was.

I’m inclined to agree with Alan. I think there is a bit of recency bias at work here that continually makes us think we are at a pivotal moment in history.

Thread Information