Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has the deeper, longer term impact upon the United States?

I am agreeing with IL on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m inclined to agree with Alan. I think there is a bit of recency bias at work here that continually makes us think we are at a pivotal moment in history.
    We are. We had a president that tried everything he could to overturn a valid election. I don't see how you can say that is not pivotal/significant?

Simplified - to me - 9/11 was an external attack against our government while 1/6 was internal attack to over-throw our government. I think both have a deep, long-term impact.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

So, because we "forgot" about 1983, it's ok if we naturally forget about 1/6?

How does anything ever get better if we just let it "pass?" Or are we just doomed to repeat?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We are. We had a president that tried everything he could to overturn a valid election. I don't see how you can say that is not pivotal/significant?
    Pivotal as in changing the course of our history? No. The first case of contesting election results in the courts? No.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Pivotal as in changing the course of our history? No. The first case of contesting election results in the courts? No.
    But it WAS the first case of a violent mob trying to prevent/change the counting of the electoral college votes.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    But it WAS the first case of a violent mob trying to prevent/change the counting of the electoral college votes.
    And, incensed by the president who lost the election.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    So, because we "forgot" about 1983, it's ok if we naturally forget about 1/6?
    I don't think we should forget about the actions of 1/6/21, I just think that for the most part we will. That's what too many of us do, although there will always be those who will forever remember that day for the wrong reasons, that being it's association with someone they hate. I say for the wrong reasons because very few of them will remember or renounce the other recent instances of political violence that preceded it due to their not being emotionally invested in it, or in some cases actually approving of it. I may be wrong about that, but I don't think so, even though I know that I will never forget.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I have to say since trump is gone and all the constant tweeting... life is relatively calm. Say what you want, but he incited the mob on Jan 6. Hard to understand why anyone would stick up for his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Say what you want, but he incited the mob on Jan 6. Hard to understand why anyone would stick up for his actions.
    Is someone doing that?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information