Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow. Just wow.

Wow. Just wow.

Maybe this belongs under Public Policy, but somehow it seems more appropriate to post it under Success Stories.

It's the video of the landing of the Mars rover Perseverence.

I took the time last week to watch as the landing took place. You never saw so many nervous people in the same room. Understandably so, since a lot of them had spent the last decade of their lives on this, and it all comes down to a few seconds of terror.

Amazing what we're capable of when we work together.

It is awesome. Wonder what further lies ahead.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I saw that on TV last week as well, oldhat! It was amazing--I can't wrap my mind around how all that happens. It was so exciting being "in the room" with them at the point of the successful landing.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what they learn.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I also saw it and totally agree - simply amazing!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Not to politicize it, but I'm a little surprised I haven't seen reports of conspiracy theorists debunking the landing as fake (I've seen some where people claim the snow in Texas was fake). Maybe science and the scientific method really can show us new things.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It reminded me of the first Mars landing (was it?) when everyone held their breath, but I have too little imagination to be enraptured by empty, rocky planets.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It reminded me of the first Mars landing (was it?) when everyone held their breath, but I have too little imagination to be enraptured by empty, rocky planets.
    For me it adds data to the answer to my burning question about earth-ceptionalism... If we are only one planet in a whole galaxy, and maybe others, that has met all the requirements for evolving life forms in such prolific quantity and variety, isn't that a simply miraculous thing??? We have either simply happenstanced ourselves into a winning the Powerball of chemical reactions or ... (save that part for the Spirituality forum).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was amazed at the quality of the video. So clear. You had to remind yourself--this is really out there! The rover only just landed and it left for its journey last July!

I read something this morning I thought was cool. The deputy project manager is a gymnastics dad. He got the idea to film Perseverance's descent after his daughter wore a camera while performing a backflip. I never really think of these space scientist nerds in terms of being regular people.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We have children here who are food compromised, people out of work and possibly living on the streets and we are wasting money on this. It makes no sense at this time IMO.

Frugal, I totally agree with you but our country doesn’t care.

Thread Information