Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Good advice is only good if you're willing to use it

Yppej
    No comparison at all. George Parker worked hard in a warehouse and paid taxes and is probably fit. Ultralight had a desk job and scarfed down tons of pancakes as well as tons of taxpayer dollars in student loan forgiveness programs. Yet despite his numerous degrees Ultralight did not post with the level of rational thought found in George Parker's posts.

I enjoyed Ultralight's contributions and I'm enjoying George Parker's contributions. They seem like two very different and distinct voices to me.

I'm surprised that GeorgeParker was attacked for simply saying that some people can be accused of lack of ambition if they they don't work to pursue goals that are worthy of them. Our own raison d'ętre as a group was Your Money or Your Lie, and anyone could argue that YMOYL is a very goal-oriented philosophy: the goal of financial independence. It takes a lot of ambition, grit, and self-discipline to attain that goal, yet some seem to be taking the "lack of ambition" he talked about personally.

Maybe it's just a question of semantics, but ambition to be the CEO of a multi-national corporation and ambition to "live like no one else so that some day you can live like no one else" are exactly the same thing, aren't they?

The opposite of ambition is floating rudderless through life and not being true to your personal values. I don't think that applies to anyone here. Thanks for explaining yourself so clearly, GeorgeParker.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Our own raison d'ętre as a group was Your Money or Your Lie, and anyone could argue that YMOYL is a very goal-oriented philosophy:
    Sorry, Catherine. I know it was just a typo (and I've made plenty) but LMAO at "Your Money or Your Lie" That sounds like a good book title to me. Maybe a book about keeping up with the Jones'? Or better yet a TV game show?

Thank you Yppej, rosarugosa, and catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Sorry, Catherine. I know it was just a typo (and I've made plenty) but LMAO at "Your Money or Your Lie" That sounds like a good book title to me. Maybe a book about keeping up with the Jones'? Or better yet a TV game show?
    hahaha!! Maybe a Freudian slip... I've struggled with my own FI path...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Haven't we all? It's easy to decide what the rational thing to do is, and it's easy to lay out an enthusiastic plan on paper (well, at least for people like us), but..... Do you know the "Birds' Nest" Story? https://nobusysignal.wordpress.com/2...onk-in-a-tree/ "The three year old knows it, but..."

My friend used to say "There's many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip."

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Haven't we all? It's easy to decide what the rational thing to do is, and it's easy to lay out an enthusiastic plan on paper (well, at least for people like us), but..... Do you know the "Birds' Nest" Story? https://nobusysignal.wordpress.com/2...onk-in-a-tree/ "The three year old knows it, but..."
    Hadn't read that one before. Cute.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That is hilarious. We could make an amusing parody called “Your Money or Your Lie” that would have chapters such as:

Drive your Hummer every day to get a latte at Starbucks, you can afford it!

Put that Caribbean cruise on your credit card! You won’t have to pay it off for years!

Go ahead, order the steak AND the lobster.Treat yourself, you deserve it!

If you dont spend money you wont make money, and the corollary: if you dont look rich you will never BE rich!

Buy as much house as you can possibly get a mortgage for because that is a good financial investment in the long run!

etc.

Thread Information