Thread: Pulsatile Tinnitus anyone?

Pulsatile Tinnitus anyone?

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for about 10 years. I had tests back then, and my arteries and veins around my ears were normal. I learned to ignore it and it would come and go. But a couple months ago, it began getting terribly loud. I had a brain scan and the ear parts looked normal, and my vessels didn't look like they were going to pop. I had a hearing test that showed I had lost some high frequency hearing in one ear. I might see an audiologist. I guess they can give me a hearing aid that gives me back the high frequency sounds. I guess you can hear a lot of funky things when you lose part of your hearing. I also hear rumbles that appear to be coming from somewhere that I can't figure out. They suggested getting a white noise machine, but with noises like that, I start hearing voices and/or music. haha......yeah, it's true.

So, long story long........have any of you had pulsatile tinnitus and have you gotten any relief from it somehow? I know I should lower my salt intake, not take too much Vitamin D, take more magnesium and B12 and B6. But has anyone found something else that works? This sound can drive a person crazy. You can't get away from it. Bummer. Hopefully there's some help for it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've had pulsatile tinnitus for about 10 years. I had tests back then, and my arteries and veins around my ears were normal. I learned to ignore it and it would come and go. But a couple months ago, it began getting terribly loud. I had a brain scan and the ear parts looked normal, and my vessels didn't look like they were going to pop. I had a hearing test that showed I had lost some high frequency hearing in one ear. I might see an audiologist. I guess they can give me a hearing aid that gives me back the high frequency sounds. I guess you can hear a lot of funky things when you lose part of your hearing. I also hear rumbles that appear to be coming from somewhere that I can't figure out. They suggested getting a white noise machine, but with noises like that, I start hearing voices and/or music. haha......yeah, it's true.

So, long story long........have any of you had pulsatile tinnitus and have you gotten any relief from it somehow? I know I should lower my salt intake, not take too much Vitamin D, take more magnesium and B12 and B6. But has anyone found something else that works? This sound can drive a person crazy. You can't get away from it. Bummer. Hopefully there's some help for it.
    Thanks!

I have not had it and it sounds awful. Do you think hypnosis might help?

That sounds awful.

I've had it a few times while drifting off to sleep, but not for years now.

I had it when I was severely anemic. Went away when that was corrected.

It's still driving me crazy. I was hoping if I decreased the amount of salt I use, that would help. But it didn't. I'm also wondering if a sinus problem can cause it. I'll make an appointment with the audiologist and try the hearing aid. I just wish doctors were more holistic in their examinations and conclusions. I've heard that if they can't do anything about getting rid of the sound, you can be retrained to ignore it. That might be a reasonable possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I guess you can hear a lot of funky things when you lose part of your hearing. I also hear rumbles that appear to be coming from somewhere that I can't figure out. They suggested getting a white noise machine, but with noises like that, I start hearing voices and/or music. haha......yeah, it's true.
    I've lost most of the nearing in one ear. I only hear loud noises and some specific frequencies with that ear. Most of the time I hear a low hiss that doesn't bother me. Other times I hear a low, fuzzy, rhythmic rumble which is apparently my pulse combining or interacting with some faint background noise like the fridge running in another room.

Since the brain always tries to make sense of whatever signal your ears are sending, my subconscious often matches the rhythmic rumbling to some piece of music or identifies it as indistinct muffled speech in the cadence and tones of a BBC radio newscast. The most frequent songs I "hear" are the Peter Gunn theme and similar music or some kind of foreign language chant music. And yes, it is sometimes hard to tell if what I'm "hearing" with that ear is a real sound or just a subconscious interpretation of the rhythmic rumble, and sometimes I have to cover that ear with my hand to see if my good ear is hearing the same sound.

Thread Information