Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Search of the Lost Homage

In Search of the Lost Homage

In the Africanized version of Let It Go there is a scene where Alex Boye is sitting on a loveseat in an ice rink and a few seconds later slides across the ice sitting on that same loveseat. https://youtu.be/DAJYk1jOhzk?t=146 I'm certain that was a homage to a music video or commercial that was popular several decades ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it except the man sitting on a loveseat sliding across the ice in an ice rink.

Does that description ring any bells for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    In the Africanized version of Let It Go there is a scene where Alex Boye is sitting on a loveseat in an ice rink and a few seconds later slides across the ice sitting on that same loveseat. https://youtu.be/DAJYk1jOhzk?t=146 I'm certain that was a homage to a music video or commercial that was popular several decades ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it except the man sitting on a loveseat sliding across the ice in an ice rink.

Does that description ring any bells for anyone?
    i have no idea.

And, apparently you have forced me to watch something from that Disney production Frozen that I have never seen. Nor have I seen bits of it. But I know every parent or grandparent of children under the age of five can sing everything by heart from that show.

I really really hate Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And, apparently you have forced me to watch something from that Disney production Frozen that I have never seen. Nor have I seen bits of it. But I know every parent or grandparent of children under the age of five can sing everything by heart from that show.
    Tricked would be a more appropriate word than forced, and I did name the song in my post. But for what it's worth the person who wrote "Let It Go" issued a public apology a couple of years later, saying he knew it was a good song but he never intended for it to go viral and become unavoidable everywhere.

Never saw Frozen nor do I know the lyrics to the song beyond the title. Maybe I'll watch it someday. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Tricked would be a more appropriate word than forced, and I did name the song in my post. But for what it's worth the person who wrote "Let It Go" issued a public apology a couple of years later, saying he knew it was a good song but he never intended for it to go viral and become unavoidable everywhere.
    But how Would I know that “let it go “is even a song? Let alone a song from a children’s movie? Let alone a song from children’s movie produced by dDisney?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Never saw Frozen nor do I know the lyrics to the song beyond the title. Maybe I'll watch it someday. LOL.
    If you do, two of my favorite versions are the Africanized version https://youtu.be/DAJYk1jOhzk which is very good,and the Cimorelli version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hvDO88egSs which I find very amusing because they're such an obvious garage band and I love their naturalness.

Key Lyric: "It's funny how some distance makes everything look small, and the fears that once controlled me, can't get to me at all!"

That's a very psychologically powerful line if you think about it and relate it to your own life each time you fearfully face a difficult situation.

So is the lyric: "Let it go! Let it go! Walk away and slam the door! And I don't care what they're going to say..."

But how Would I know that “let it go “is even a song? Let alone a song from a children’s movie? Let alone a song from children’s movie produced by Disney?
    I'll let someone else respond to that question.
    All I can say is {FACEPALM!}

But how Would I know that “let it go “is even a song? Let alone a song from a children’s movie? Let alone a song from children’s movie produced by dDisney?
    I'll let someone else respond to that question.
    All I can say is {FACEPALM!}
    I second IL's question. If not for the fact that my wife works with small children I suspect I'd never have heard of the song or movie. I'm befuddled as to why that rates a facepalm.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I second IL's question. If not for the fact that my wife works with small children I suspect I'd never have heard of the song or movie. I'm befuddled as to why that rates a facepalm.
    Facepalm is always a self-directed gesture and means covering one's face with the hand as an expression of embarrassment, dismay, or exasperation.

There are countless covers of Let It Go on YouTube, many with millions of views. Googling "let it go" frozen gets 10,500,000 hits in 0.94 seconds. And that song was so ubiquitous for so long the person who wrote it issued a public apology to all the people who were tired of hearing it over and over.

Surely almost everyone on the internet has at least heard of it, or would google it if they felt like they needed to be cautious about viewing YouTube content?

That's why the facepalm. It's an expression of disbelief and frustration that among the few dozen people who have viewed this thread, I had the bad luck that one of them is a Disney hater who never heard of that song and is annoyed by having been exposed to part of it.

I think that totally deserves a frustration facepalm with the caption "Sometimes you just can't win." YMMV, and you are the top moderator, so what do you think? Do I deserve a facepalm or not?

Facepalm is always a self-directed gesture and means covering one's face with the hand as an expression of embarrassment, dismay, or exasperation.

There are countless covers of Let It Go on YouTube, many with millions of views. Googling "let it go" frozen gets 10,500,000 hits in 0.94 seconds. And that song was so ubiquitous for so long the person who wrote it issued a public apology to all the people who were tired of hearing it over and over.

Surely almost everyone on the internet has at least heard of it, or would google it if they felt like they needed to be cautious about viewing YouTube content?

That's why the facepalm. It's an expression of disbelief and frustration that among the few dozen people who have viewed this thread, I had the bad luck that one of them is a Disney hater who never heard of that song and is annoyed by having been exposed to part of it.

I think that totally deserves a frustration facepalm with the caption "Sometimes you just can't win." YMMV, and you are the top moderator, so what do you think? Do I deserve a facepalm or not?
    I’m laughing here because I wasn’t harmed by viewing a little bit of Let It Go. I mean, my Disney allergy isn’t anything that causes me pain. I don’t need trigger warnings for Disney. oh dear God we have not reached that level of stupidity here on the SL forums!

Thread Information