Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio books vs reading a book oneself

Audio books vs reading a book oneself

For the first time, I am trying to 'read' an audio book. I find audio articles and lectures very convenient but a whole book is driving me bonkers. The same voice, however beautifully read, becomes monotonous and I lose interest. Any hints to share?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I hate audio books. I am a fast reader and don’t want someone reading to me.

First, I only listen to light fare fiction audiobooks. Second, I only listen to them while doing something like weeding, out on a walk, or needlework. Kind of like if you had someone there in a conversation. I probably could not listen to an audiobook on a non-fiction topic where I wanted to retain anything. I only read hard versions of that type of thing.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I hate audio books. I am a fast reader and don’t want someone reading to me.
    I feel the same way. I feel claustrophobic when listening to an audiobook sometimes, but I have three exceptions:

In a car in a long trip I enjoy podcasts or audiobooks.

At night, I've gotten into the habit of listening to a podcast or book when going to sleep.

When I go for walks, I usually like to just listen to the natural sounds around me, but if I get bored, it's nice to know I can listen to an audiobook.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm not a fan of audio books. I tried them when they were marketed as Books On Tape 15 or so years ago and found that I had difficulty concentrating on them, it seemed that my attention would wander and I missed too much of the narrative.

I did transition several years ago to e-books rather than paper books and now find that I prefer maintaining my library digitally as I spend at least an hour or two a day reading, and dealing with the mountain of physical books would be daunting. I now have nearly 6000 e-books on a personal server in my home office, enough to last the rest of my life I suppose.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

razz, a few months ago I brought up the fact that I was listening to an Audible book and I didn’t like it. That’s when several people here piped up to say they were not fans of audiobooks.

I think if you’re stuck in the car on a long trip it might be OK. For me anyway.

I do like listening to podcasts when I’m doing hands-on work.

I've found at least a couple of narrators I like, and I generally listen while doing something else, so I'm perfectly happy to listen to a book rather than read it.

I've become very big on audiobooks in recent years. My eyes aren't what they used to be--I had cataract surgery two years ago because of worsening glaucoma. As an editor, I read all day on a computer screen, which tires me out for regular reading. Audiobooks are great for the car--in particular, in the last few years I've been going back and "rereading" a lot of long 19th century novels--War and Peace, Middlemarch, Vanity Fair--that would really tax my stamina to reread in print. When Borders went under I picked up the entire King James version on sale and thus finally made it all the way through the Bible (three months while driving).

I listen to podcasts, YouTube, and TV programs, as well as audio books. With TV and YouTube, I can just open the window it they seem to require eyes on.

ETA: Nearly all my reading is done digitally now. Though I don't have the e-library that Alan has, I have enough to last a lifetime.

The narrator or reader, to me, makes or breaks the audiobook. Some years ago, I read (softcover) Olive Kitteredge and really enjoyed it. So when I saw Olive, Again available on audiobook on sale for cheap, I downloaded it and listened to it while ripping English Ivy off my fence. Now THERE was a reader. I enjoyed her reading so much that I sought out other titles she'd done.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information