Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Well-Designed 258 sq ft Apartment (No Ladders or Foldaway Stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Some people are home so little during the week with working that when the weekends come they want to enjoy their home. If they have children they want to spend time with them not running around. We often did errands during the week so weekends were free for relaxing. This is also a great time to have friends over for dinner or in nice weather have friends over for a barbecue outside.
    I've already said that tiny apartments aren't suitable for some people or even most people, but that has nothing to do with whether or not this is a good design for people who do choose to live in a small space.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't spend most of my weekends away from home. Pandemic or not. I just don't. Spending most of your time out of the house sounds like a good lifestyle for a 20 something or thereabouts. But I'm not a 20 something.

What's the point of living in these super cramped spaces anyway? Is there a belief they are significantly cheaper? I don't think it actually works like that. There are no great savings to be had there over a normal apartment (even a place with no kitchen at all will only save a small amount). I don't think it's something people really do if they really need to reduce rents, what people might do: location in an area may make a difference but there starts to be a tradeoff with commutes and other things, roommates is an obvious one, you can try to find a place with rent control but that only limits increases, beyond that more extreme stuff: renting a couch off someone else rather than a room or renting your couch, living in a garage etc..

It looks nice of course, but never choose a place to live based on looks, that's house flipper nonsense, to fix up the looks and think it matters oh so much. Choose it on is it practical to actually live there. A squishy bed right by the window is too much light to sleep. The fridge is tiny, I'm sure it would work if you went to the store every other day but if not ... etc..
    Those are valid points. But I'm not arguing either in favor or against tiny dwellings, even though several people seem to think I am. I'm just admiring the design of this specific tiny apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Some of it is reusing older housing stock. This one was a 1960s building. The apartment already existed. They just redid it.

Then there’s the thinking that smaller spaces use less energy, etc.
    I am not enough of a minimalist to live in a space like that, and I do need my outdoor space, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Some people are home so little during the week with working that when the weekends come they want to enjoy their home. If they have children they want to spend time with them not running around. We often did errands during the week so weekends were free for relaxing. This is also a great time to have friends over for dinner or in nice weather have friends over for a barbecue outside.
    I also find myself trying to get certain errands done during the week just so it frees up some of my weekend time. Not saying I'd stay home or go out, but just to have time for other options.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am not enough of a minimalist to live in a space like that, and I do need my outdoor space, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate it for what it is.
    I'm TRYING to be more of a minimalist and I love looking at places like this. But - maybe because I still have so much stuff - I keep wondering... where are the pens? Where is the mail? Where are all the chargers and power strips? To answer my own questions - these people are probably just way more organized than I am right now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Something else to consider is that this apartment is in Sydney, Australia. I daresay most countries’ average living space is much smaller than that in the US. I’d be interested to learn what the average space for an urban apartment is in Australia.

I’ve seen dinky apartments in Chicago in lakefront neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm TRYING to be more of a minimalist and I love looking at places like this. But - maybe because I still have so much stuff - I keep wondering... where are the pens? Where is the mail? Where are all the chargers and power strips? To answer my own questions - these people are probably just way more organized than I am right now.
    Many people are quite paperless with regards to mail. I'm sure the apartment was really cleaned up and emptied out before the video was made. I don't even remember if there were clothes in the closet.

If I didn't have all my dive gear, I COULD live in a place like that. I looked up the square footage of my current place (rented condo) from realtor ads for units in the same complex. About 700sqft. There are a lot of oddly shaped corners that create some unusable space. I would want a washer/dryer and dishwasher, though.

I like looking at the studio apartment tours section on Apartment Therapy.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/house-tours/studio

But - maybe because I still have so much stuff - I keep wondering... where are the pens? Where is the mail? Where are all the chargers and power strips? To answer my own questions - these people are probably just way more organized than I am right now
    well there is no actual computer setup at all.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    well there is no actual computer setup at all.
    Many people don't have desktop PCs at home anymore. They have laptops. Until I started working from home last year, I just used my laptop in bed or in a chair in the LR. No computer set up.

Thread Information