Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: March Frugals

Wow! Folks seem to be starting off the month with a bang! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My Medicare plans cost 330/month but my sister in Illinois pays 600. I will also get 195 subsidy starting in a few months because of being a state retiree.

Yppej
    DS cleaned the old microwave from the basement. It has a little burnt smell so he plugged it into a surge protector and said watch it while food is cooking in it. It is not making noises or shooting off sparks so it is an improvement. Will see if this one is satisfactory or we need to buy another one.

Yppej
    DS has grown sufficiently concerned about the rusty water that we decided that should be priority one. He has been cleaning for a couple months now but still has more things to clean before a plumber can come here without tripping over a bunch of stuff. In the meantime he suggested we limit our hot water use and he turned down the temperature on the hot water heater. This will save on the natural gas bill and possibly the water/sewer bill as well.

Yppej
    Got a plumber in and he suggested flushing the hot water tank to see if that works vs replacing. If needed I will buy again rather than lease from the gas company. I learned that frugal quite some time ago. He also worked on some other things but now the flapper seems loose and the toilet gurgles frequently. I guess I won't be calling that company again. Whatever they did knocked things off kilter. And the price they quoted me if I need a tank later is high.

Took my son's car I am driving now for brakes at the cheapest of 3 places I got estimates from. Also got the coolant replaced at another cheap place.

All in all it was a spendy day off but I still hope to hit my budget for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, I am so delighted with my March frugal. With one short phone call, I saved $1500/year by switching my car insurance. It took me forever to switch from NJ to VT but I finally did it, and my monthly premium went from $180/month for 2 cars to $50/month.
    wow, big savings!

Yppej
    The hot water tank is now leaking, and I discovered you should never flush an old tank that has not been flushed before because it will make it leak. Reached out to the owner and he said he will work with me to make things right. They have an A+ rating with the BBB so I am cautiously optimistic.

I bake a lot of pies, and I just made one yesterday, but can't find or didn't pack my old plastic cutting board that I used to roll out the dough. I had bought a pvc tablecloth and had cut a piece to go under our jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table to make the pieces more visible against the wood, and I had cut another piece to roll out when the girls are coloring with markers, to protect the table. So I cut another piece and used it to roll out the pie dough, then washed it off and it is hanging to dry now, and then I will fold it up and reuse it when I roll out dough. The pvc tablecloth cost 3 dollars, and it already has been used three ways,and there is more left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I bake a lot of pies, and I just made one yesterday, but can't find or didn't pack my old plastic cutting board that I used to roll out the dough. I had bought a pvc tablecloth and had cut a piece to go under our jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table to make the pieces more visible against the wood, and I had cut another piece to roll out when the girls are coloring with markers, to protect the table. So I cut another piece and used it to roll out the pie dough, then washed it off and it is hanging to dry now, and then I will fold it up and reuse it when I roll out dough. The pvc tablecloth cost 3 dollars, and it already has been used three ways,and there is more left over.
    Clever, Tybee.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    The plumber said he will refund my money. I am now working on finding a new plumber - got three referrals and word of mouth usually is a good way to go.

Thread Information