Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: March Frugals

March Frugals

I love the first of March! I see it as the start to spring or thinking about it anyway. On March 1at, I put away the little snowman sitting in my exterior entryway and bring out the silk spring flower arrangement until I can replace it with live flowers. This has been the routine for several years now so it is my first frugal activity for this month.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Well, I am so delighted with my March frugal. With one short phone call, I saved $1500/year by switching my car insurance. It took me forever to switch from NJ to VT but I finally did it, and my monthly premium went from $180/month for 2 cars to $50/month.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, I am so delighted with my March frugal. With one short phone call, I saved $1500/year by switching my car insurance. It took me forever to switch from NJ to VT but I finally did it, and my monthly premium went from $180/month for 2 cars to $50/month.
    That is so great when it all works out so well.!!!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej

Rusty Water

Rusty water as seen in my bathtub. This is why when some here say slap a filter on your faucet and drink the stuff instead of buying gallons of water I decline. I am not that frugal!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got the bed put up yesterday. Used a full foam mattress which hangs over the rail a little on one side but not really noticeable under the quilt and I don't care; it was 179 dollar mattress vs. a made to fit one. I had thought I might slide off excess but it really doesn't bother me, and it's in a cover that is sewn on and I am just going to use it that way.

The twin bed it replaced is now in a little room off the dining room that can be a bedroom if we ever have surgery and need to sleep downstairs for a while. I wish we had had this when my husband broke his pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Rusty water as seen in my bathtub. This is why when some here say slap a filter on your faucet and drink the stuff instead of buying gallons of water I decline. I am not that frugal!

Is that from YOUR pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    SAVED $1500? Holy smokes. Our total bill for 2 newer vehicles is $1800/year.

Who did you switch to?

Liberty Mutual. I already have homeowners with them, and I have 2 cars, one 2004 and the other 2007, and I live in a rural area in Vermont. So that probably accounts for the low rate. But I was shocked at how low it was.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

woohoo, Catherine! We saved a boatload last year on insurance, just from re-vamping our coverage with the carrier we already had. Insurance seems to vary widely from state to state, also. Tybee, glad the mattress worked out. We had a 3/4 bed for years. Then DH rebelled about 12 yrs ago, so now we sleep on the QE2, otherwise knows as a king. I hate it - takes up so much room, new sheets are expensive (all of mine are from yard sales!). We each have separate blankets - not buying king size ones, and we both have very different thermal needs- he actually has a electric twin and several other blankets, I have one small down throw. this month I'm investigating medicare plans, as I will be 65 in August. that will hopefully save us a little, as I can dump my private, bare-bones insurance. And if the cost does not go down, at least some of the bills will be paid for!! I've not had any health concerns since I retired this time last year. I have no underlying issues (other than fat) nor is there a family history of cancer/heart disease/HBP/diabetes, so I've postponed normal screenings. I'll schedule them for August. Hoping that will have been a frugal choice!

Razz, your welcome to spring routine sounds lovely. Makes me want to go scrub my porch and take down our single strand of Christmas lights, lol. I did hang out the wooden heart my husband made me years ago, so at least we were sort of February-appropriate!

Thread Information