Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: March Frugals

I did keep my monthly spending slightly below my historical average. Next month's big ticket items will be property taxes and possibly more car repairs. My son's car which I have been driving is squealing from a belt even though it was replaced not long ago. He takes it to the mechanic Monday and I will cover that. So I am driving my own car for a few days and its issue is not resolved. I am going to buy a heavier oil to put in it and see if that helps. The heavier oil makes it harder for a car to start in cold weather but now that it's spring I'm willing to give it a shot. He has successfully lobbied me to try to get the most life possible out of these cars. This has been going on for three months now and the repairs on both cars have been roughly equal to what payments, increased insurance and increased excise tax would be on a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This has been going on for three months now and the repairs on both cars have been roughly equal to what payments, increased insurance and increased excise tax would be on a new car.
    As the owner of a 19-year-old car (the other car in the stable being 10 years old), I'm all for squeezing long lives out of cars. But if you're consistently paying what a new car would cost (minus the "opportunity cost" of getting stranded or possibly even having the car quit on the highway), it probably is new(er) car time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    As the owner of a 19-year-old car (the other car in the stable being 10 years old), I'm all for squeezing long lives out of cars. But if you're consistently paying what a new car would cost (minus the "opportunity cost" of getting stranded or possibly even having the car quit on the highway), it probably is new(er) car time.
    Part of this is because my son drove little so only changed the oil and did what was needed to pass state inspection. So I have caught up on things on his car like coolant changes. I am hoping things get less costly here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Part of this is because my son drove little so only changed the oil and did what was needed to pass state inspection. So I have caught up on things on his car like coolant changes. I am hoping things get less costly here on out.
    Makes sense. Catch-up maintenance is always costly. I hope the car gives you a little break now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks Steve. I bought the 10W30 and will put it in later today. Last night I was poking around the internet and came across a comment that with older cars synthetic fuel is bad because of its cleaning power. It scours out the little deposits that keep oil from seeping out of gaps that form as components wear down. And here I bought a synthetic blend because that is what is recommended for the car under normal circumstances.

Thread Information