Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: March Purge

I, on the other hand, still live in Packratville, now Packratville East. I surreptitiously threw out a plastic bakery box and a parmesan cheese container that he was going to use for nails, since he left it on the floor for the past 4 days.

Also threw out a bottle of foundation that I just bought; when I was doing my color test with the other bottles I bought, this one caused an allergic reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, you won the queen crown for purger of the year 2 or 3 years ago!! Now I have swooped down and stolen it). Without my resident pack rat I happily won’t have anything to purge. When my condo is done and set up I will post pictures. It won’t be minimalist but won’t be cluttered either.
    Because it is ALL about me, I would like to remind this group that I participated in the final frontier of decluttering: decluttering books. I, Iris Lilies, did the hardest thing there is to do so while I do not want any titles here, I get recognition and honorable mention! Haha.

And now I will have to say this about DH and his collection of stuff. Today he was putting up my antique light at my condo, and he needed a bar thingie to the fit inside the attachment. He went down the basement and rummaged around in his collection of bar thingies until he found one that fit.

So the collection of construction stuff does come in handy.

He also brought home the phone kiosk from Hermann because the construction crew tore it out. Sadly, I am thinking about keeping it as a little shrine to hang on the wall there somewhere. Just what I need, another piece o’ junk, but it could be cute as a testament to original decor.

My second husband had a small collection of stuff that indeed he would use for projects. However, it was organized, neat and he actually used it versus garbage and I cannot find anything like present ex husband. IL, you do indeed get Honorable Mention for books. I sadly overlooked your great achievement)

Tybee, does he ever use the containers for what he intended or is it just added to more junk?

OK, IL, you will get one of those participation ribbons that are being handed out these day. There, do you now feel recognized?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    OK, IL, you will get one of those participation ribbons that are being handed out these day. There, do you now feel recognized?
    Why yes, yes I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, does he ever use the containers for what he intended or is it just added to more junk?
    He does use them but not nearly as quickly as he accumulates them. So I used to go through and thin them out. What I would like to do is limit the containers to x, then say no new containers until these are filled.

I also want to start getting rid of 1-2 things for every item we bring into the house. Because we are getting new stuff for the new space, and then stuff from my dad has drifted in--useful stuff, but something else needs to go. We are still about 30-50% over where I would like to be.

I just finished a home office project that I've dabbled in for over a year. Replace a two drawer file cabinet with a one drawer, and replaced a nine drawer desk with a singe drawer writing desk. The bind has been going through and eliminating saved paper work. Many of the manuals I've saved are online now and the internet has streamlined the need for other paperwork. The old desk went to the Habitat Reuse store, but they are picky about desks. Nothing over 4 feet in width. ARC, another local charity similar to Goodwill doesn't take desks. Apparently, there is a glut of large used office type furniture and a lot of home schoolers want something simple or are going back to classes.

For someone who has trouble getting rid of anything slightly useful it was a time consuming project and glad its done. Whew.

Next in line is a fairly recent audiophile quality CD player and CDs. I put all of my CDs on both memory sticks and external hard drives. My old ears really can't tell the difference any more between digital and CD. The local recycle center takes music and data CDs to be recycled for $.25 each and I'll probably spring to have them recycled.

Yppej
    I am debating about a blanket. It has gotten thin over the years and my feet have kicked holes in it while I roll around in my sleep, and now my feet will catch in those so while I like the texture it is no longer good as a first layer. I do not know if I want to keep it as a top layer. I sleep with several layers of blankets depending on the time of year - used to be 5 but then I had heat added to my bedroom so now it is 4 in winter, 3 in early spring and late fall, 2 in late spring and early fall and 1 in summer. Anyways the blanket is still functional as a top layer but is not aesethetically pleasing. Another layer, a bedspread, is also quite old and is slowly unravelling. Decisions, decisions.

Thread Information