Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: March Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The fellow in the picture is none other than Mr Bilbo Baggins who famously had a difficult time purging himself of the 'One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'
    After giving up the ring to his nephew Frodo, he apparently had similar problems with electronic accessories.
    And I didn't even know it was Bilbo! I was just amused by that seemingly-innocent, slippery slope of an idea that surely it won't hurt to keep this one little whatever.

Thanks, Alan, I thought it was Beethoven and didn't get the joke at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thanks, Alan, I thought it was Beethoven and didn't get the joke at all.
    No worries, it's rare that a lifetime of accumulated useless information comes in handy. Glad to be of assistance.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The fellow in the picture is none other than Mr Bilbo Baggins who famously had a difficult time purging himself of the 'One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'
    After giving up the ring to his nephew Frodo, he apparently had similar problems with electronic accessories.
    ok, thanks.

The fellow in the picture is none other than Mr Bilbo Baggins...
    I didn't get it either. Having read the books but not seen the movies there is no way I would recognize the Movie version of Bilbo. So thanks for explaining from me too.

Related side note: Hobbits don't receive gifts on their birthday, instead they give a gift to each of their friends. The gift they give will obviously be something they have no use or fondness for, otherwise they would keep it themself. But the gift does have to be something that conceivably someone would have a use for. So Hobbits stockpile all the useless gifts they receive and give each friend something that seems appropriate from that pile as their 'birthday' gift. Clearly this custom would make it difficult for a hobbit to seriously declutter.

And here I am, as someone who has bought, second hand electronics, that were missing their power supplies, thinking he is saving that, to power up some second life device.

So had the last of the clothes here, to go to Goodwill, or some such thrift store. Happy they were still here, as a friend had an older friend, loose everything in a fire. They took quite a few of them to get them by.

On a bad purge, used up my day off this week, dealing with vandalism of the company truck. Other owner left it unlocked, and someone in the night, came in and cut the battery cable ends and stole the battery ($12-18 core charge, close to $400 in damage). Old garage I worked at I called to see when they could get it in, they told me to bring it down the next day, but I did the working on it (and the sitting around waiting for dealer parts, since it wasn't a normal battery cable).

I thought the face was somewhat familiar but didn't make the connection to Bilbo. The things that one learns on SLF, lol.

When I cleaned out DH's treasure trove of "I may need this one day" items, it was hard to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. Over the past years since I moved, it has been interesting to see what I have used.

When I mention something that I need to fix etc., the kids will remember that their dad had something tucked away for just such an occasion and I go hunting. Most recently, it was a strip of magnet that he had attached to inside lid of a metal toolbox. The kids knew exactly where it was.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I did several passes through my stuff that resulted in a major purge in Jan & Feb. It’s paid off. Less stress for me. Plus annual town inspection was Tuesday. No more than five minutes. Pretty much just tested the detectors. Anyway, always have to make sure everything is picked up, etc. So much easier this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I did several passes through my stuff that resulted in a major purge in Jan & Feb. It’s paid off. Less stress for me. Plus annual town inspection was Tuesday. No more than five minutes. Pretty much just tested the detectors. Anyway, always have to make sure everything is picked up, etc. So much easier this time.
    Your town does an annual no-search-warant invasion of your home???? OMG!

Your town does an annual no-search-warant invasion of your home???? OMG!
    dude the city inspects apartments yes, regularly, that's life. For smoke detectors for instance. Now one is given warning, and they aren't searching for drugs or anything, in an apartment it's really to make sure the landlord is following regs rather than about the tenant, but yea.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information