Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What's Fun About Your State?

Nice, Steve! Did you see the weird ad where Mr. Peanut is back from the dead?

I also saw Mr. Peanut as a kid, on the stilts--a highpoint of one vacation. He was spotted in Maryland, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Did you see the weird ad where Mr. Peanut is back from the dead?
    I did. As I recall, I asked myself, if this was the answer, what was the question? The whole campaign killing him off was just off the mark, to me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We're number one!
    "The Evergreen State takes the top spot again in the U.S. News Best States ranking on the strength of its tech sector and other industries." (March 2021)

This part of the article made me laugh:
    "Shortcomings have proved persistent, too, as the state's high living and labor costs leave it in the middle of the pack when it comes to opportunity for its residents, according to the Best States rankings."

Apparently "high labor costs" aren't slowing us down much if Washington is again ranked number one out of fifty states. (People can make a decent living here? The horrors!) There was also a bit about our "flat taxes," which I assume was a typo--they meant to say "fat taxes."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...P1v4fw2P3yjwCg

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    People can make a decent living here
    Decent Living Definition: How much money people make after taxes compared to how much money it costs to live in that area.

According to that definition and the data on https://livingwage.mit.edu/ and https://money.com/average-income-eve...te-real-value/ I'm not real impressed by Washington's "decent living" compared to other states. Some are better, some worse, but people in lower-level jobs are still having to work overtime or two jobs if they want to make any progress financially. (unless they're LBYM practitioners like us.)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    There also is a Planters Nutmobile:

Attachment 3685
    I passed one of those last year! I was driving north in I-35 north of Wichita. When I was coming up from behind it, I thought it was some weird tanker trailer (round rear-end). Cracked me up.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    IL? Politics are a spectator sport here, especially with Chicago and Crook (Cook) County. Always fun seeing who is going to be taken down next.
    Dixon IL was quite a hot topic in the horse world ... And currently was home to the operator of the largest municipal fraud in the history of the US . Rita Crundwell embezzled over 53 million dollars for the city over a 20 year span to fund her horse habit. There was a documentary move made about it called All The Queen's Horses

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    But the Texas State Fair has Big Tex and it has it's own Hollywood movie:

Our 1962 " It Happened At The World's Fair" starred Elvis and an uncredited Kurt Russell And we still have the Space Needle

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Dixon IL was quite a hot topic in the horse world ... And currently was home to the operator of the largest municipal fraud in the history of the US . Rita Crundwell embezzled over 53 million dollars for the city over a 20 year span to fund her horse habit. There was a documentary move made about it called All The Queen's Horses
    I saw that documentary. Wow.

I recently learned that there is a small ghost town in my state called "Trump". It had a post office and store and was the center for neighboring ranches. Abandoned in the 1930's. A geologist located an unusual rock formation in the area and it is called the "Trump conglomerate".

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I saw that documentary. Wow.
    Although I never met Rita in person, the horse world is extremely small ( like 6 degrees of separation small) I know of a few horse trainers that had some of her horses ( she had over 400 Quarter Horses ( AQHA) and had a few Paints (APHA)
    It was rumored in the horse world that she had family money in cell towers / Campbell Soup . There is absolutely no money like her had at her finger tips in the horse world. Every once in a while , someone strikes gold.... My trainer did once. bought a yearling for 12K and sold as a three year old for 150K . The towns people got fooled that all of her big wins added up to where her money came from. The horse people were alot more skeptical.

Thread Information