Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because of their use of offensive imagery, according to the business that oversees the estate of the children’s author and illustrator.

In a statement on Tuesday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises said that it had decided last year to end publication and licensing of the books by Theodor Seuss Geisel. The titles include his first book writing under the pen name Dr. Seuss, “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” (1937), and “If I Ran the Zoo” (1950).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/b...5b1f387d82cd47

That does it!!! This country has officially gone totally raving bonkers nuts!!!!!

I see this from a wider point of view and it is that this is one of those things that makes me resent news media. They have about 3 to 5 stories every few days they trot out in front of us and we all have to be focused on those 3 to 5 topics, and often we are expected to be outraged.

It’s a lot of bullshit. Who cares. Those old Geisel titles are irrelevant anyway. Publishers regularly make decisions to stop publishing outdated irrelevant works.

It's just a sign of the times we're living in. I'm assuming that Seuss Enterprises board is simply being proactive in an effort to protect themselves from future attacks while simultaneously ingratiating their business with social justice warriors. Probably a smart business move considering the $30M or so per year revenue the good doctor's books and licensing deals bring in.

I happen to have a copy of "And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street", I'm thinking I should hold onto it as a memento of simpler times.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Those old Geisel titles are irrelevant anyway. Publishers regularly make decisions to stop publishing outdated irrelevant works.
    There is no way on earth that I could disagree with you more or disagree more strongly.

I recognize that some of the language used in those books ought to be updated and that some of the images also ought to be updated simply because some words and stereotypes that were common and considered harmless decades ago are now considered insensitive or even offensive. But flat out banning books that have been popular for decades instead of doing whatever minor tweaking is needed to make them acceptable is ridiculous.

Far from being irrelevant, most of the Dr Seuss books are timeless, and their amusing message is always new and timely for every child who reads it.

As far as the news media having "about 3 to 5 stories every few days they trot out in front of us and we all have to be focused on those 3 to 5 topics, and often we are expected to be outraged": Whatever seems to be newsworthy is what gets published, and whatever gets attention in one news source gets repeated in other news sources, after which it usually gets replaced by newer news. That's the way news works and always has.

The point is: If you don't like what you see in the news or in certain news media, don't read/watch it.

What gets reported on ESPN or any of the 30 other news sources that I don't look at has no effect at all on me because I don't look at them. And IMHO everyone else should follow the same policy: If a news or entertainment source annoys you, don't look at it. But let those who are interested in what a news source says repeat, read, and discuss it to their hearts content.

IOW I'm totally against censorship unless there is a very compelling reason for it, and in this case there is not.

{Here endeth the rant}
    {And I'll pre apologize for having expressed my opinion so strongly on this, if anyone requests it.}

Really bad example of times gone nuts. You have seen Dr Seuss cartoons with anti-Japanese racism during WWII right? Simpler times, when we had internment camps, ah those simpler times ... (it could happen here, it could happen now, but that is another purely speculative discussion, I'm talking actual history here).

Link (although it's widely known):
    https://www.openculture.com/2014/08/...ing-ww-ii.html

Now I'm not jumping from that to all Dr Seuss books are racist or something, that would depend entirely on what anyone finds objectionable on the book under discussion etc.. Nor do I think he wasn't talented, of course he was. I'm just talking about some context.

And I actually do think there is too much political correctness, I'm tired to death of it, but that's the truly nuts stuff, like people thinking a perfectly non-gendered term like folks is somehow gendered. That is nuts. I often suspect some of it is the CIA undermining any actual progressive movements. Yea I can't prove it, the history is known, but that's just speculation. But actual racial caricatures are just that, and far more in genuinely offensive territory.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I saw that on the news, and I was so afraid that my favorite Dr. Seuss titles might have been struck down: like Horton Hatches The Egg in particular. The titles that have been banned don't mean a whole lot to me. Apparently some of the offensive content had to do with the images, not the words so much. Seems they could get permission from the estate to simply redo those images... but maybe the publishers aren't selling many of those titles and will get some good press from proactively shutting them down for politically correct reasons.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How is it banning if Suess Enterprises made the decision to stop further publication? I am against banning and also believe that if you don't like something, don't consume it. I would also venture to guess that if you asked those characterized they might say that although stereotypes were common then and now, they don't consider them harmless. I don't think Suess had bad intentions but when you know better, hopefully you do better. Their voluntary self correction is them doing better.

Turning our backs on blatantly racist materials left over from a previous era doesn't bother me--unless it's being studied as a bad example. I've said before I'm not a Seuss fan, so that part doesn't bother me either. As I understand it, the books in question will still be available (White Supremacy Book Club, anyone?) to those who want to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    How is it banning if Suess Enterprises made the decision to stop further publication? I am against banning and also believe that if you don't like something, don't consume it. I would also venture to guess that if you asked those characterized they might say that although stereotypes were common then and now, they don't consider them harmless. I don't think Suess had bad intentions but when you know better, hopefully you do better. Their voluntary self correction is them doing better.
    +1

Several of my favorite books from the past are no longer being published. Glad I held on to my copies!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am sure books from that era aren’t selling anyways so points for doing the right thing for the company without suffering any financial harm. They could redo the pictures as Catherine suggested but probably not financially worth it.

Thread Information