Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think your offense meter may be set a little too low, try cranking it up a quarter turn and enjoy the discussion.
    Maybe we should append a disclaimer of the kind generally seen on Op-ed pages.to the bottom of our posts, so we can glance at it after reading a particularly global assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Sounds like the makings of a new game show:

"Do-Gooder or do-gooder?" - guess correctly and this fabulous Royal Doulton Signature 1815 Pink 12 Piece Dinner Set could be yours!!
    I would play that game!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Haha yeah. To think that the entity who has the power to produce the thing has decided to not produce the thing is actually banning its own actions.

There are things that I have invented and implemented that I chose not to distribute to the public, in some cases for political reasons. I guess I "banned" them.

I would play that game!
    You could have categories like Jeopardy:

Green or Preen

Cultural Sanitation

Six Degrees of Separation from Hitler

Oberlin Overkill

Name that Ism

Nun Control

Privilege or Prattle

While I haven't seen the whole list (radio mentioned some), I did have a copy of I think that I saw it on Mulberry Street, as a kid. I guess I would need to find it, or a copy, to see WT heck they are talking about?
    There are certainly, books that we (my family) read as kids that are more prejudiced. Things like:
    The Stupids, step out. (of which I believe a movie was based on)
    Little Black Sambo, and Kettlehead

I don't remember identifying with any of them, other then to think I am smarter then those who would wear socks on their ears, or grab a hot pot, barehanded.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You could have categories like Jeopardy:

Green or Preen

Cultural Sanitation

Six Degrees of Separation from Hitler

Oberlin Overkill

Name that Ism

Nun Control

Privilege or Prattle
    Hmmmm... in my continuing effort to "be nice", I'm thinking this game may head in the opposite direction. My idea and I withdraw it... BANNED!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Hmmmm... in my continuing effort to "be nice", I'm thinking this game may head in the opposite direction. My idea and I withdraw it... BANNED!
    And I think it’s hysterical, a funny idea by you, an entertaining execution by LDAHL. Please lady don’t ban it! Haha.

And I think it’s hysterical, a funny idea by you, an entertaining execution by LDAHL. Please lady don’t ban it! Haha.
    Well... I guess... maybe... if the price is right!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s a good point. If you yield the field to anyone who makes the jump from “I disagree” to “You’re a bigot”, things will become dull very quickly.
    Contrarywise, if you continue engaging in a conversation with people who "make the jump from 'I disagree' to 'You’re a bigot'”, you'll waste a lot of time and energy trying to talk logically with people whose minds can't be changed, and I choose not to do that.

This NYT article looks at the issue in a broader context. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/b...5b1f387d82cd47

I especially call your attention to this paragraph which sums up my opinion perfectly:

"Regardless of the content, books go out of print every day if they don’t sell, and indeed, some of the Seuss books would likely be in that category if they had been written by another author. Valerie Lewis, a co-owner of Hicklebee’s bookstore in San Jose, Calif., said that sort of attrition is perfectly sensible, but pulling a book altogether for political reasons makes her uncomfortable."

It makes me uncomfortable too. What are they going to pull next? How far will it go before someone decides too much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because of their use of offensive imagery, according to the business that oversees the estate of the children’s author and illustrator.

In a statement on Tuesday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises said that it had decided last year to end publication and licensing of the books by Theodor Seuss Geisel. The titles include his first book writing under the pen name Dr. Seuss, “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” (1937), and “If I Ran the Zoo” (1950).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/b...5b1f387d82cd47

That does it!!! This country has officially gone totally raving bonkers nuts!!!!!
    Dr Suess enterprises made this decision.

I'd like to hear from people represented by the personna depicted that has led to the publication stop.

Thread Information