Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

  1. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You have to feel for contemporary Asian Americans. On the one hand, you have the woke crowd looking to protect you from pictures drawn in 1937. On the other, you have the woke crowd looking for ways to limit your numbers in the Ivy League.

    I don’t begrudge the Suess Literary Trust the decision of what to publish anymore than I begrudge Hasbro’s decision to de-gender Mr Potato Head. But I think that when such calls are made out of the fear that the mob will at some point come for them if they don’t, then I think our culture may have a moral courage problem.
    And you have the "blame all Asians for the virus" crowd that won't hesitate to perform physical acts of violence against any Asians they see. Both sad and frightening!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  2. #72
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,155
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    And you have the "blame all Asians for the virus" crowd that won't hesitate to perform physical acts of violence against any Asians they see. Both sad and frightening!
    I've noted that the knuckle-dragging thugs involved seem to target elderly Asians who have trouble fighting back. So brave of them.

  3. #73
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,344
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've noted that the knuckle-dragging thugs involved seem to target elderly Asians who have trouble fighting back. So brave of them.

  4. #74
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,344

  5. #75
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,188
    Thanks for posting these, Bae.
    Philosophically, I prefer to think that society has been growing wiser over the centuries. The general population is now able or learning to read and write; make informed decisions; equitable access to shared resources is increasingly seen as desirable, etc. Life doesn't stop in one position of growth but keeps on unfolding

    Some members will fight against the emerging changes as they unfold. While there are many instances where this increasing wisdom appears not to be happening, I believe that the arts will guide mankind's thinking to more respectful and courteous treatment of each other. Disney's approach is one option.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

  6. #76
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,155
    I noted in another thread that I'm currently reading Breath from Salt, by Bijal Trivedi, chronicle of the quest for a treatment or cure for cystic fibrosis. What became increasingly clear as I read it is that ground-breaking science springs from a dizzying array of contributors. The companies involved in this quest searched for the best people, and they found them in Germany, Spain, China, India, the U.S.--men and women of a veritable United Nations of backgrounds, all brilliant, and all totally committed to science.

    It's my fervent hope that over time, toxic white nationalism recedes into the midden heap of history where it belongs, and stays there. Ignorant tribalism is an impediment to progress wherever it rears its head.

  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    It's good that you know what is best for the company
    Show me anywhere that I said know what is best for the company! That's the same old distraction tactic that has been used several times in this thread already.

    If a company does something that I disagree with and I say that I don't like it, that does not in any way or by any stretch of the imagination imply that I think I know what's best for the company. It's called an OPINION, and if enough people hold the same opinion the company will listen. Otherwise they won't.

    I trust that you have never and will never express any opinion about anything that any company or politician or other entity has ever done. After all, the same rules apply to everyone, right?
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 3-5-21 at 5:49pm.

  8. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No I'm not Chinese, I'm more of a hillbilly, one that doesn't find anything offensive about Snuffy Smith or Lil Abner because I know they're just caricatures.



    As a Southerner with Appalachian heritage, I totally agree. We're all subject to being drawn as humorous caricatures in one way or another, whether it's the southern hillbilly, the Oregon lumberjack, or the Wall Street stock trader, and I laugh at Snuffy Smith and LiL Abner as much as anybody. And I also get POed when I see a caricature of any type that is clearly meant to offend or demean and not just gently exaggerating something for humorous effect.

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You have to feel for contemporary Asian Americans. On the one hand, you have the woke crowd looking to protect you from pictures drawn in 1937. On the other, you have the woke crowd looking for ways to limit your numbers in the Ivy League.

    I don’t begrudge the Suess Literary Trust the decision of what to publish anymore than I begrudge Hasbro’s decision to de-gender Mr Potato Head. But I think that when such calls are made out of the fear that the mob will at some point come for them if they don’t, then I think our culture may have a moral courage problem.
    I totally agree.

  10. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I noted in another thread that I'm currently reading Breath from Salt, by Bijal Trivedi, chronicle of the quest for a treatment or cure for cystic fibrosis. What became increasingly clear as I read it is that ground-breaking science springs from a dizzying array of contributors. The companies involved in this quest searched for the best people, and they found them in Germany, Spain, China, India, the U.S.--men and women of a veritable United Nations of backgrounds, all brilliant, and all totally committed to science.

    It's my fervent hope that over time, toxic white nationalism recedes into the midden heap of history where it belongs, and stays there. Ignorant tribalism is an impediment to progress wherever it rears its head.
    That’s true. Ultimately, nobody owns a particular truth, style or idea, and you should take the best wherever you can find it. That’s why cultural appropriation is such a ridiculous concept.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •