Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I noted in another thread that I'm currently reading Breath from Salt, by Bijal Trivedi, chronicle of the quest for a treatment or cure for cystic fibrosis. What became increasingly clear as I read it is that ground-breaking science springs from a dizzying array of contributors. The companies involved in this quest searched for the best people, and they found them in Germany, Spain, China, India, the U.S.--men and women of a veritable United Nations of backgrounds, all brilliant, and all totally committed to science.

It's my fervent hope that over time, toxic white nationalism recedes into the midden heap of history where it belongs, and stays there. Ignorant tribalism is an impediment to progress wherever it rears its head.
    That’s true. Ultimately, nobody owns a particular truth, style or idea, and you should take the best wherever you can find it. That’s why cultural appropriation is such a ridiculous concept.
    I also agree with that completely, except the part that seems to blame toxic ethnic nationalism exclusively on white people. Look at the Rohingya people in Burma (aka Myanmar), the Uighurs in China, and countless other oppressed minorities all over the world. Discrimination really isn't a WASP-Only problem. We all need to be open minded and do what we can to make our own little part of the world more accepting of diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thanks for posting these, Bae.
    Philosophically, I prefer to think that society has been growing wiser over the centuries. The general population is now able or learning to read and write; make informed decisions; equitable access to shared resources is increasingly seen as desirable, etc. Life doesn't stop in one position of growth but keeps on unfolding

Some members will fight against the emerging changes as they unfold. While there are many instances where this increasing wisdom appears not to be happening, I believe that the arts will guide mankind's thinking to more respectful and courteous treatment of each other. Disney's approach is one option.

I see Mulberry Street book as a book. Because that’s my orientation. That’s how I live my life. It’s about books, I worked with them for decades at a large scale.

The Mulberry street book is not so special that it deserves special accommodation for being dated. It’s just dated. I find it kind of boring. It’s barely worth defending except as a nostalgia piece that grandma and grandpa might want to read to grandson. I liked MsChris’ post about how she used this type of book to educated her 4th grade children in soft bigotry.

I’m in the midst of selling my picture book collection and ran across this thing today, a stupid work with wonderful illustrations. ERROL LE CAIN is a fabulous illustrator.

So does this make fun of Asians, I don’t know? It is featuring Simease cats feom2473A74A-75DB-4B99-93F5-6AF6DAB6E31C.jpgGrowtigers last stand, one of the TS eliotmstories.

2473A74A-75DB-4B99-93F5-6AF6DAB6E31C.jpg

I see EBay will be delisting the offending Seuss titles. You can still buy and sell “Mein Kampf” though.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see EBay will be delisting the offending Seuss titles. You can still buy and sell “Mein Kampf” though.
    Whaaaaat? It is utterly ridiculous. Now this concerns me more than the stopping publication of these books. For God sake. That’s ridiculous.

But as of this moment there’s still tons of copies of them up on eBay.

So now I want to know —can I interest anyone in copies of Little Black Sambo? You can buy several of those on eBay.

My favorite artists are illustrators--Charley Harper, James Christensen, B Kliban, Arthur Rackham, Mary Engelbreit, and many others. Most "fine art" bores me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My favorite artists are illustrators--Charley Harper, James Christensen, B Kliban, Arthur Rackham, Mary Engelbreit, and many others. Most "fine art" bores me to tears.
    I know a guy who collects Disney animation cels. Apparently they are fearsomely expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Whaaaaat? It is utterly ridiculous. Now this concerns me more than the stopping publication of these books. For God sake. That’s ridiculous.

But as of this moment there’s still tons of copies of them up on eBay.

So now I want to know —can I interest anyone in copies of Little Black Sambo? You can buy several of those on eBay.
    I read on Marketwatch that a set of the titles in question are going for $1,100. I don’t know if it’s for the scarcity value or the perverse joy of owning something somebody disapproves of.

I wanted to be an illustrator when I grew up. I collected illustrated children's books for years. I loved Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, Kay Nielsen and so many more. Alas my son was never into books as much as I. When he was older and I was moving to get married I decided to sell my collection to Powell's books. They were delighted and I made a mint on the rare titles. I did hold a few back and sometimes wish I still had the ones I sold but at 65 I'm really into paring things down and my fantasy of having a library room is long gone.

I am selling my illustrated picture book collection, some of it anyway. I am keeping 200+ of the ones that “spark joy” and am donating the ones that don’t seem to have a market.

Jane, I remember the very first time I saw a James Christensen work. I was in Taos, the artist Mecca, and it was about 1985 or 86. It was not a piece of his artwork I saw, it was a promotional piece of literature that contained his artwork. I was blown away by it. Now I think he’s way over represented and I lost track years ago of his what he was doing.

Oddly enough in my book clean out most of the Rackham books did not make the cut. I guess that’s because they’re all modern reprints and there’s just too much of Rackham around to spark joy for me. But that is not to deny his incredible artistry because it’s pretty amazing. I love Dulac and Neilsen as well and I have some at least one early edition of a Dulac book as well as early editions of Harry Clark, William Robinson, and a couple other big names.

But what I found when I was collecting golden age illustrators is that I like a group of illustrators who must’ve been influencing each other because they were all women and largely from Scotland such as: Anne Anderson, Jesse King,Catherine Cameron, Alice Woodward, Elizabeth Harrison. Frank Loyd Wright’s sister was an illustrator, Maginal Wright Enright. These are all “second tier” illustrators Which may or may not reflect opportunities for women at the time, but their artistry is undeniable.

Thanks for sharing those observations, Iris!

Thread Information