Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I also agree with that completely, except the part that seems to blame toxic ethnic nationalism exclusively on white people. Look at the Rohingya people in Burma (aka Myanmar), the Uighurs in China, and countless other oppressed minorities all over the world. Discrimination really isn't a WASP-Only problem. We all need to be open minded and do what we can to make our own little part of the world more accepting of diversity.
    You're right, of course, but I live in the US, where toxic white nationalism a la Stephen Miller is rampant, so that's where my mind goes. And I'm inclined to think cultural appropriation is mostly natural and to be expected where cultures overlap.

Rackham's illustration of Rossetti's Goblin Market was a favorite of mine. Thanks for a new (to me) list of illustrators to peruse.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see EBay will be delisting the offending Seuss titles. You can still buy and sell “Mein Kampf” though.

Love to know where you actually read that? Heck, I still find them selling stuff that is very illegal, not things that are just morally questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Love to know where you actually read that? Heck, I still find them selling stuff that is very illegal, not things that are just morally questionable.
    It was in the Wall Street Journal.

Heck, Amazon still sells Mein Kampf. Of course, it's an important historical document.

I note that Che Guevara shirts are also widely sold.

Love to know where you actually read that?
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/dr-seus...ay-11614884201
    But Ebay has issued a "Facebook Excuse" saying they're removing the listings as fast as they can find them, but so many people are posting that item that they can't keep up with all the new listings.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Quoting the article I linked to above: "Before he became a giant of children’s literature, Mr. Geisel drew political cartoons for a New York-based newspaper, PM, from 1941 to 1943, including some that used harmful stereotypes to caricature Japanese and Japanese-Americans. Decades later, he said he was embarrassed by the cartoons, which he said were “full of snap judgments that every political cartoonist has to make.”

And don't forget that creating nasty stereotypes of our WW II enemies was official government policy during the war and in the years leading up to it. Caution!! This URL leads to highly offensive historical material https://www.historyhit.com/examples-...world-war-two/

The internment camps were also government policy and I see no possible connection between them and the Dr Seuss books. Nor do I think Dr Seuss was any more or less casually bigoted than any other average American in the 1940s and 1950s.
    Your post made me think of my dad. He was a young child during World War II living on the West Coast and the kids would play war games including "Kill the Jap." As an adult he was horrified that he did this, but at the time it was the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Rackham's illustration of Rossetti's Goblin Market was a favorite of mine. Thanks for a new (to me) list of illustrators to peruse.
    I had multiple copies of that Goblins Market edition because it always showed up at book sales super cheap and I could never resist it. It’s a small book.

I wonder if they just haven’t gotten around to all of the listings of the things you see? I was checking little black Sambo books again today and the ones I saw on a grid list had no real listing information so I assume they had been polled. eBay probably has but running around identifying The fridge for bidden items weather illegal or against their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Your post made me think of my dad. He was a young child during World War II living on the West Coast and the kids would play war games including "Kill the Jap." As an adult he was horrified that he did this, but at the time it was the norm.
    Is it still ok to call someone from Britain a Brit, or maybe someone from Scotland a Scot?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information