Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dr Seuss Banned for being Politically Incorrect!!!!!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is it still ok to call someone from Britain a Brit, or maybe someone from Scotland a Scot?
    If I were German I would not want to be called a Germ, but as an American I Am what I Am.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Your post made me think of my dad. He was a young child during World War II living on the West Coast and the kids would play war games including "Kill the Jap." As an adult he was horrified that he did this, but at the time it was the norm.
    My point exactly. Most people reflect the prejudices of whatever place and time period they live in. The question isn't whether they were prejudiced, but rather how prejudiced were they compared to other typical people at that time, and did they later realize their previous attitudes were wrong.

That doesn't in any way excuse the bad things that were done in the past, but there comes a time when we need to examine books and events within their historical context and be ready to forgive people who made honest mistakes because of their cultural milieu. Without that, all of us would have to go on hating everyone forever.

Is it still ok to call someone from Britain a Brit, or maybe someone from Scotland a Scot?
    Yes, unless they object. But never call someone from Britain a Limey. And never call a stranger from Ireland, Scotland, or Wales a Brit or English.

And speaking strictly for myself as a proud native-born Southerner, don't ever call me a Yank, even though I realize many British people do call all Americans "Yanks".

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Yes, unless they object.
    Oh, I wasn't really interested in whether or not they object as I suspect there's a wide range of acceptance, I'm more interested in the phenomenon of caucasians determining that it's racist to treat non-caucasians in the same manner they comfortably treat themselves. As a caucasian, I also wonder what it says about us.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, unless they object. But never call someone from Britain a Limey. And never call a stranger from Ireland, Scotland, or Wales a Brit or English.

And speaking strictly for myself as a proud native-born Southerner, don't ever call me a Yank, even though I realize many British people do call all Americans "Yanks".
    Our Scottish contingent here did not like me calling them Brits. I distinctly remember her calling me out on that because I figured they call us Yanks. And that’s OK with me I think that’s am amusing name.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our Scottish contingent here did not like me calling them Brits. I distinctly remember her calling me out on that because I figured they call us Yanks. And that’s OK with me I think that’s am amusing name.
    Strictly speaking Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are conquered territories, and there's still a lot of historical resentment. Especially when the English Parliament makes laws and decisions about those areas with little or no regard for what the people living there prefer.

Oh, I wasn't really interested in whether or not they object as I suspect there's a wide range of acceptance, I'm more interested in the phenomenon of caucasians determining that it's racist to treat non-caucasians in the same manner they comfortably treat themselves.
    I think there's a certain amount of in-group privilege.

It seem acceptable OK for people of a certain race/culture to call other members of that race/culture by the "X-word" (fill in whatever value of X is appropriate), but when someone who is an outsider uses the same language, it is viewed as troublesome.

I think most people understand this.

Strictly speaking Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are conquered territories, and there's still a lot of historical resentment.
    I enjoyed visiting Oliver Cromwell's home in Ely two years ago for so many reasons. One of which is that it is an Escape Room several nights a week.

I think the Pogues said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think most people understand this.
    I understand that its common in Western first world countries, I just wonder why?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think there's a certain amount of in-group privilege. It seem acceptable OK for people of a certain race/culture to call other members of that race/culture by the "X-word" (fill in whatever value of X is appropriate), but when someone who is an outsider uses the same language, it is viewed as troublesome.
    Case in point: Many Oklahomans of German descent proudly call themselves Krauts, including my SO.

Thread Information