Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    "The Social Dilemma" is about as far from an inspirational, feel-good movie as you can get!
    That is for sure! My first love is documentaries - and The Social Dilemma is one of those documentaries I think everyone must watch. It really makes you question everything
    you see on the web. I first noticed it years ago when a co-workers Yahoo's new feed was different than mine. I just assumed that they posted the same news for everyone - now I understand how they were "customizing" his news feed to his interests. While this may seem harmless - if someone has radical ideas - it would only further feed those radical views. That is what is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    That is for sure! My first love is documentaries - and The Social Dilemma is one of those documentaries I think everyone must watch. It really makes you question everything
    you see on the web. I first noticed it years ago when a co-workers Yahoo's new feed was different than mine. I just assumed that they posted the same news for everyone - now I understand how they were "customizing" his news feed to his interests. While this may seem harmless - if someone has radical ideas - it would only further feed those radical views. That is what is scary.
    Added this to my list as it really sounds interesting. Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I saw the Social Dilemma, and it was really compelling, particularly because the people talking about the pitfalls and the practices of social media companies are the very people that build those platforms for the major ones: Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Finally was able to watch Nomadland. Interesting, but I found it to be on the "dark" side. I watched it thinking that none of these people appear to be "happy", but as I was analyzing it all, I think the musical score had a lot to do with that feeling. I can't remember a single part of the movie with upbeat music. I am glad I finally got to see it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Finally was able to watch Nomadland. Interesting, but I found it to be on the "dark" side. I watched it thinking that none of these people appear to be "happy", but as I was analyzing it all, I think the musical score had a lot to do with that feeling. I can't remember a single part of the movie with upbeat music. I am glad I finally got to see it.

Nomadland was one of those movies I was dying to watch, and made DH watch it. He crashed on it early--saw about 20 minutes and took off for his workshop. I watched it, but it didn't meet my expectations unfortunately. It was very slow, and as you said, too dark. I was hoping for more of an upside for those people.

Last night I watched The Power of the Dog, the Jane Campion film. That started incredibly slow for me, because I hate "westerns" (although this wasn't a Western in the true sense of the genre). I was SO impressed with Benedict Cumberbatch: I've watched three of his movies lately--The Electrical Life of Louis Wain and The Mauritanian, and esp for Wain and Dog I've had to ask DH, "Is THAT Benedict Cumberbatch?" He rivals Meryl Streep in his ability to adopt accents and transform himself.

Power of the Dog grew on me. By the end, I convinced myself that it was really a great film.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I thought Nomadland was beautiful! Yes, it had an overarching tone of sadness.

i started “Power of the Dog” and like it so far although like you, am not a fan of Westerns. But that Cumberbatch bloke is lovely in it.

Did anyone else watch “Pig?” It is on my list which is super short this year.

I loved Power of the Dog.

I tried to watch Pig but lasted about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I tried to watch Pig but lasted about 20 minutes.
    Why is that? I just looked it up and it sounds intriguing. DH might like the truffle-hunting part, and I might like the living in a remote cabin part.

I'm not a fan of Nicholas Cage and he just didn't fit the role IMO. The story is interesting though.

Thread Information