Thread: I Want A Tower House Like This

I Want A Tower House Like This

I figure this thing is 40 feet tall, not counting the roof, and about 21 feet diameter inside. That would mean it has room for 4 floors with 8 foot ceilings, and each floor would be about 346 sq ft (minus 16 sq ft for a spiral staircase).

I'd make the top two floors living space. The second floor storage space. And the ground floor a garage and workshop for my motorcycle with a 4-foot wide metal security door as the only entrance.

It would have great views of the surrounding countryside. The wide eaves would provide shade. The windows would provide plenty of cross ventilation. And it would be as private and secure as any house with windows can be.

Castle Tower.jpg

... and my knees would be poppin' and lockin' as I went up and down the stairs! My brain loves this idea (especially with a view at the top); my knees say something else.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yeah, it's like a tall, skinny yurt. I could do it, but I agree that some type of a lift would be helpful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, it's like a tall, skinny yurt. I could do it, but I agree that some type of a lift would be helpful.
    True, but going up and down at least one or two flights of stairs twice a day would help to keep your lungs, heart, and circulation healthy. And since each floor has 16 sq ft allocated for stairs, you could install a personal elevator instead if you wanted to.

You could honestly state that you feel like you are going round in circles
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    True, but going up and down at least one or two flights of stairs twice a day would help to keep your lungs, heart, and circulation healthy. And since each floor has 16 sq ft allocated for stairs, you could install a personal elevator instead if you wanted to.
    True, but I hate to say it, but at this stage of my life, I have to think about not just myself, but people who would come to visit. Come to think of it, maybe it would keep people from visiting, which might not be all bad!

It reminds me of Rapunzel. I think I would prefer a real yurt, but that tower definitely is eye candy, and would probably have a great view.

Here's Bill Coperthwaite's yurt. (Author of A Handmade Life--one of my favorite books). He died a couple of years ago.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We used to have a castle here, close to my old house. The furniture had to be custom made for tower.

However, you only have to go UP stairs, you just need a fireman's pole. Just don't try to build a mobile tower (Jeremy Clarkson reference)

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's Bill Coperthwaite's yurt. (Author of A Handmade Life--one of my favorite books).
    Nice. It looks like something out of The Lord of The Rings or a fairy tale.

Yurt.jpg

I love the look of your tower, but wouldn't want to live there.

I navigate stairs down/up at least once a day whether I want to or not. My heart may be happy with the trip, but my knees are definitely over it.

Thread Information