Thread: Reading labels

Reading labels

This past year, I have started to look at the labels and point of origin of purchased items. As an example, I recently went to a dollar store to buy some cheap containers for gardening. I don't go there very often but ended up buying ten different items-ironically most not related to gardening. Seven items were from China, two from Thailand and one from the US. Rubber bands made in Arkansas. Today, I looked at the hunk of Norwegian Jarlesberg cheese I splurged on and saw that it was made in Ireland. It's just kind of interesting to look and see where things are made and sometimes I wonder why we don't make more things here. I don't understand trade policy but I still wonder.

Ever since I found out that clearly labeled "Italian olive oil" is primarily produced in Spain plus some other countries and bottled in Italy, I have questioned areas of production vs blending vs packaging vs shipping. It is so confusing as the trade agreements seem to vary on country of shipping origin and/or % of content from country of production origin. Just when one has figured this all out, it changes again without notification. Is that part of globalization?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I know we have posted about made in the USA a few times here, but again my thoughts.
    Cost and the American idea of Cheap and a lot of it. Can't have both.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I know we have posted about made in the USA a few times here, but again my thoughts.
    Cost and the American idea of Cheap and a lot of it. Can't have both.
    I bought a made-in-America stove that cost $5,000. I assume the Chinamen could do it cheaper. But I am happy to support this American industry.

I notice that books are now mostly printed in China. I am imagining containers full of best-sellers crossing the oceans. Dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I notice that books are now mostly printed in China. I am imagining containers full of best-sellers crossing the oceans. Dumb...
    Yep.

I buy a lot of Great Lakes shipwreck related books. I don’t mind paying more for a book printed in the US or Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Ever since I found out that clearly labeled "Italian olive oil" is primarily produced in Spain plus some other countries and bottled in Italy, I have questioned areas of production vs blending vs packaging vs shipping. It is so confusing as the trade agreements seem to vary on country of shipping origin and/or % of content from country of production origin. Just when one has figured this all out, it changes again without notification. Is that part of globalization?
    You have no clue how complicated determining COO can be.

Thread Information