Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meghan, Harry, Oprah, and The Crown

Meghan, Harry, Oprah, and The Crown

I've always loved thinking about the Royal Family... Queen Elizabeth became queen the month before I was born. I remember seeing and being mesmerized by the magazines about the Coronation that my grandmother had in her house when I was a child.

I woke my young kids up at 4am so they could watch Diana's funeral in September of 1997

Of late, I've watched all the episodes of The Crown, which are very telling in terms of the "behind the scenes" operations of the Royal Family.

Then, today, I just streamed the Oprah interview of Meghan and Harry.

Any thoughts?

My first thoughts are that they appeared to be very real--I didn't detect phoniness. I clearly saw parallels between Diana's life and Meghan's. At the same time, I see how the Queen and the family could almost be pawns of the institution of the monarchy. In The Crown it was so interesting how Tommy Lascelles pretty much controlled the decisions that were made--and all decisions had to serve the Institution; therefore, Elizabeth had to deny Margaret her own choice of husband. Many decisions seemed to have been made at the expense of people she loved, only to serve the monarchy--the upholding of which is her sole duty.

I think Meghan is right when she says she went into the whole thing naively. So, who is "wrong" and who is "right"? Should the Palace provide training for non-royals? Should they just tell them to "put up and shut up" because they signed up for this admittedly very tough job? Is Meghan spoiled or deserving of pity?

I'm wondering what the fallout will be. I see the Palace has already issued a statement, under pressure from the outside.

Anyone else see the interview? Is anyone else interested at all?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wasn't a fan of Diana's and I believe Harry chose a bride very much like her (some would say all of us marry our mothers). I'm the "stiff upper lip" type, personally. I didn't watch the interview, and don't plan to.

There’s a great piece on the Babylon Bee on how the Duchess is inspiring girls everywhere with her message that no matter how rich, famous and privileged you may be, you can still whine about how oppressed you are.

I am sorry I am responding to this! But as a former keen observer of the cult of Diana, I have to at least be consuming bits here and there of the H & M drama.I’ve watched clips on youtube.

I am 70% on their side. That said, I have these unsympathetic things to say:

1) A mature woman in her 30’s like Meghan should have educated herself about the constricting nature of Royal family life. I know damn well she didn't bother to carefully consider it or indulge in anything that would slow her roll of locking Ginger Beard down

2) They have chosen racist America in which to raise their children. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    2) They have chosen racist America in which to raise their children. Interesting.
    I think that was telling; I would have chosen beautiful British Columbia for a relaxed, unassuming life. But they didn't seem to want that, did they?

I didn't see the interview and do not plan to nor do I watch or read about heralded movie or sports or sensationalist heroes that the world devours creating a rabid media shark process. It is not the media itself but its bored public sharks that eat up the individuals.

I wish all well knowing that the only constant is change for everyone and every institution. My enjoyment of life and peace of mind are much more important to me than to do otherwise.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I tHought it was very cool that they got married for real three days before the big show wedding. I’ve always wondered why there had to be a big show wedding. She’s a mature woman who is divorced and has been down that aisle before. Why did they need a giant wedding? I would like to know how much of it was Harry and Meghan wanting it and and how much the palace machine thought it necessary because he was a prince of the realm.

I feel sorry for Meghan when she relayed the story of how she made Kate cry at wedding rehearsals. That story had legs and wings I heard it repeated many times. So according to Meghan it was Meghan who cried not Kate. If that is entirely true, 100%, then that is disturbing about the level of negative press received. But I also wonder if it is possible that Kate cried as well. Crying duchesses, what a sight.

I also wonder why was it necessary for Harry to relay to Megan the comment about their child’s skin color? That would cause her pain. Unless he was doing it to convince her to get out of Merry Aulde Eng.

I didn't watch it, but I saw bits and read about it.

Rich people whining. They wanted to get rid of the royal responsibilities, but they still wanted perks (security, royal stipend, etc.). They claim to want privacy, yet they keep going public. Meghan saying she purposely didn't Google Harry? C'mon, please. I believe Harry really did marry his mother. Meghan also comes across as a social climber. The sex must be very good for Harry as she's turned a normal red-blooded guy - Army vet, into hunting, etc., into a vegan who sold his hunting shotguns. She certainly seems to have his balls in her purse.

And they were saying at the beginning that they were only going to have one kid because it was better for the environment? And here's number two (pregnancy number three).

I don't really follow the German usurpers.

I watched about thirty minutes but found it boring and somewhat embarrassing. I think Harry came of age without a mom and his wife is the strong woman that has filled that missing piece. I thought he looked miserable throughout.

Thread Information