Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Meghan, Harry, Oprah, and The Crown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    After the second world war, Europe’s surviving kings and queens were widely regarded as historical detritus. Some buried themselves in Portugal or the south of France. Others, as in Scandinavia and the Low Countries, stuck to their palaces but retreated into the background, aware of their democratic irrelevance. They eschewed the paraphernalia of “ruling”, becoming merely a personification of united nationhood. The policy served them well. Europe’s most progressive democracies have titular monarchs...
    As an example of the British Royals mostly being very rich figureheads, rather then traditional princes, princesses, etc: From time to time the Queen goes to Parliament and makes a speech similar to the US President's State of the Union speech. The difference is the Queen's speech is written for her by the Prime Minister and the other Ministers (iow the Cabinet and Department Heads of the British government) and expresses what the government wants Parliament to do. The Queen just reads it to Parliament as a figurehead. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32816450

I think it is interesting that Harry's previous girlfriends all refused to go any farther than girlfriend as even that designation was hard. Megan did not have the years of conditioning that Kate had or the knowledge the others acquired thru living in the country and experiencing the issues over an extended period.

As a royal "celebrity" she seems to not understand that going out for coffee with her mother would be almost impossible. Going out in public would be a major undertaking with lots of preplanning and security. I do not think she understood what the royal life would be and being second fiddle to William and Kate was not going to ever change. Sad really but a lot of us expected something like this might happen.

I see one of those daytime talk shows has gone into hiatus after a heated debate as to whether a British talk show host who didn’t believe Markle was a racist or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see one of those daytime talk shows has gone into hiatus after a heated debate as to whether a British talk show host who didn’t believe Markle was a racist or not.
    I read about that. I think the takeaway is that anyone accused of racism, for whatever reason, must be forever branded as such by everyone or consequences will ensue.

But to get back to Meghan and Harry specifically, I read today that a GoFundMe account set up to help pay the mortgage on their multi-million dollar California estate has gone bust. I'm not sure if that's also a sign of racism since I would think it might be more accurately attributed to common sense, not that it matters.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I read about that. I think the takeaway is that anyone accused of racism, for whatever reason, must be forever branded as such by everyone or consequences will ensue.

But to get back to Meghan and Harry specifically, I read today that a GoFundMe account set up to help pay the mortgage on their multi-million dollar California estate has gone bust. I'm not sure if that's also a sign of racism since I would think it might be more accurately attributed to common sense, not that it matters.
    The government has programs to aid refugees fleeing oppression like this. Now that the media has rebranded “Children in Cages” to kinder, gentler terms, they might be comfortable accepting some assistance.

If Harry and Meghan are the most worthy cause the woman that set up the go fund me could think of she lives a very strange life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But to get back to Meghan and Harry specifically, I read today that a GoFundMe account set up to help pay the mortgage on their multi-million dollar California estate has gone bust.
    That had to have been started as a joke. I checked it out and the person who started the page donated $5. This was her logic:

Were 2 million supporters to donate just $5 each, the Goal is met and the loan can be paid off. After their interview, I was moved with compassion to help get their home paid off. As they are now financially independent, this will help and be a loving gift.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That is a long trail from the Oprah interview indeed: talkshow host (Piers Morgan) comments on Meghan Markle and talk show host (Sharon Osbourne) comments on Piers Morgan’s comments. All talkshows blowup and one is placed
    on “hiatus.” What a ridiculous state of affairs.

But mainly, I deeply believe that anyone who bothers to debate what is “racist “ deserves everything they get. Sharon Osborne who is pretty much irrelevant anyway deserves what she got. Living in an epicenter of race politics as I do, I learned some time ago to not engage in a discussion about what is “racist.” If one must react, smile and move on and let the “racism” charge lie there.

It seems to be more about power than justice at this point. Especially among the chattering classes and the entertainment industry. If the accusation or even the threat of the accusation can be used to intimidate or destroy people, it will be used in increasingly absurd fashion.

Thread Information