Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Those Living In The US (re: Stimulus $)

They all went into savings and then from that into property taxes.

My COVID relief stipend has come in and was distributed mostly to the property tax fund. Talk about warp speed.

saved so far...…….this time we may go on a little trip for a few days after both vaccinations are complete.

We saved ours. And plan to take a short trip after our vaccinations, DH gets his first shot tomorrow via the county health department.

Taxes

Dumbest thing I've heard about the stimulus checks: Someone responded to a man-in-the-street poll by saying the stimulus checks didn't do them any good because they had to pay more than that in income taxes.

How much income tax you have to pay is going to remain the same whether you get a stimulus check or not, so logically getting any stimulus money is better than getting none. But some people just don't get that.

And other people complain that they should get a bigger stimulus check because they pay more income tax, which means they totally don't get the idea that the stimulus checks are supposed to go to people who have low incomes and will be more likely to spend the money as soon as they get it.

In My Own Humble Opinion, the upper limit for receiving a stimulus check should have been $50,000 annual taxable income with an adjustment up or down depending on the cost of living index of the place you live. That would have put the money in the hands of the people who need it the most, and reduced the overall cost of the stimulus program. https://dqydj.com/average-median-top...e-percentiles/ has a good chart of average and median incomes for 2019 and 2020.

In the aggregate, those of us who do pay taxes will be paying off the debt incurred for these cash giveaways. So yes, in the long term taxpayers will ultimately need to pay more back in then they got up front.

Yppej
    I haven't gotten mine yet, though finally my regular tax return shows as received.

I got a letter this week saying stimulus check number 2 for $1,200 is in the mail and we should receive it this week. We already received that check. Makes me wonder if legit in that it says to save this letter as well as the one received with the first check..... retrospect? Says if don't receive check to call a number. Don't plan on doing anything.

In My Own Humble Opinion, the upper limit for receiving a stimulus check should have been $50,000 annual taxable income with an adjustment up or down depending on the cost of living index of the place you live. That would have put the money in the hands of the people who need it the most, and reduced the overall cost of the stimulus program.
    then it would probably just be adjusted up to about the 75k here anyway but with a lot more grumbling from non-coastals, for what is a small percentage of the overall spending in the bill anyway.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information