Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Selfish

Yeppj, you're out of line. Those members who call you a troll are out of line. You're all out of line. Stop it!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    People not gaming the system to increase covid deaths in vulnerable populations would improve my outlook. But shameless people will not only do it but tell everyone about it as if it is a clever accomplishment, not apologize for it, and instead act like they are victims. But then again manipulators often do try to deflect attention from their misdeeds when they are criticized. Poor, poor pitiful me they say, or they cry. IL I remember when you made a legitimate post about a person repeatedly flogging a dead political horse and the person said "You made me cry" and you backed down. Poor, poor pitiful me. It's a good song by Linda Ronstadt but much less endearing when it comes to discourse.
    I think a simple "I wouldn't feel OK about doing that" is about as judgmental as one should get on an online forum, and save the heavy-duty moralizing for raising one's own children. As for me, I wouldn't feel OK about browbeating another member of the forum for behavior I did not necessarily agree with, especially given that I myself am an imperfect human being.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think a simple "I wouldn't feel OK about doing that" is about as judgmental as one should get on an online forum, and save the heavy-duty moralizing for raising one's own children.
    My own child has turned out well. He suffers from extreme OCD and the lack of availability of disinfectant spray has been very hard on him. I told him he could get around the one per customer limit at stores by going through the self-checkout but he said he wouldn't do that as it wouldn't be fair to others. So he makes many trips to the store looking for disinfectant since you can't get it online at a reasonable price. Every time he goes out it is a major ordeal to disinfect himself when he gets back, wash his clothes, etc but he does it to be fair to others. He would never say that it is okay to lie or game the system to get what he wants. Often times the disinfectant sells out early in the morning and he could ask one of his grandparents to go during senior hours and get some for him but he does not though they would be more than happy to help him out.

We don't always like the rules - I certainly don't like mask rules - but I think a certain maturity is involved in realizing we do need to follow the rules until we can vote out the lawmakers we disagree with. There are always exceptions - it was honorable to flout the Nazi's anti-Semitic rules - but if the only thing at stake is one's self-interest it is a different story.

So yes I know what it is to have a disabled child I try to help during the pandemic. I don't believe it gives me a license to skirt the rules and lie if necessary. And I say this not because I am such a good person, yes I am imperfect as you note, but because despite everything my son is dealing with he shines a strong moral light out and it helps remind me we are (or should) all be in this together, and taking care of the least of us first.

I don't believe it gives me a license to skirt the rules and lie if necessary.
    Go back and read the thread as BikingLady did NOT skirt the rules. There were extra vaccines and they were available. She was there. They are doing the same in my area.

Again, I'm so sorry that you continue to have such a tough time with all the COVID life effects. I hope you can find some peace soon.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Go back and read the thread as BikingLady did NOT skirt the rules. There were extra vaccines and they were available. She was there. They are doing the same in my area.

Again, I'm so sorry that you continue to have such a tough time with all the COVID life effects. I hope you can find some peace soon.
    She went with the intention of skirting the rules. That she didn't have to was accidental.

She went with the intention of skirting the rules. That she didn't have to was accidental.
    Well, again, she got lucky, didn't she. No rules broken regardless of intent.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Well, again, she got lucky, didn't she. No rules broken regardless of intent.
    You're assuming no rules were broken based on the statement of someone who admits to being a liar when it comes to vaccines. You and I have no knowledge of whether this is true or an attempt to deflect criticism.

I like ice cream sundaes.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I like ice cream sundaes.
    Ice cream sundaes are good especially drizzled with a fresh raspberry coulis.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

You're assuming no rules were broken based on the statement of someone who admits to being a liar when it comes to vaccines. You and I have no knowledge of whether this is true or an attempt to deflect criticism.
    So you are assuming rules were actually broken? (even though it has been stated that no rules were broken!) Why disparage someone based on a statement you have no knowledge of whether it is true or not?

Thread Information