Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Rome were to become an American city, the Coliseum would be toast

If Rome were to become an American city, the Coliseum would be toast

Is it a purely American phenomenon that anything 5 minutes old doesn't deserve to exist? I've rehashed this topic ad nauseam, but a friend of mine just posted this newly sold house in CT, and said that it is slated for demolition. It's a crime against mahogany, among other things! What do you think of this house?? Does it deserve to be demolished? What are the new owners going to replace it with?? I imagine they bought it just for the property, which is on the water, and I guess the house just isn't their style. What a waste! I sure hope they are saving what can for an architectural salvage place.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...y0tw&mmlb=g,31
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Awww, rest in peace gorgeous old house.

It is lovely in a lovely setting. I shudder to think of cleaning it though. Maybe the next one will be even bigger.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That’s a crying shame. That is a beautiful house!!

When was it built? 1920 or earlier? Not quite my cup of tea. I loathe it when people put modern art in an old house. Rather jarring.

I just loathe modern art. And modern houses. What a waste.

Is that in a terrible neighborhood? Why on earth was it so cheap?

It’s beautiful!! Really sad it’s being torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Is that in a terrible neighborhood? Why on earth was it so cheap?
    That's a good question. I'm sure it is not in a terrible neighborhood, as it's on the CT shoreline. The person that posted it said that there is one house that was unfortunately built in front of it for some reason so that may have diminished the market value.

My great-aunt's cottage--the one I speak so fondly about--is two towns up the coast. it was across the street from the shore, with deeded beach rights. It was untouched essentially since the early part of the 20th century, and was not winterized. It sold for 3/4's of a million, so to your point, I'm surprised that this 10k square foot house on the shore in CT sold for 1.3M.

My emotional investment in this whole thing is that I've learned that "my" cottage is/was pushed down and a new home rebuilt recently. As the Buddhists say, everything is impermanent.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's a lovely house. Ugly art though and hard to furnish a place that huge. Anything new is unlikely to be as well built. We don't even have the raw materials to build houses like we used to, I'm sure they plan to spend a fortune, sure but nonetheless.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information