Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heard of ecopsychology? Healing with nature

Heard of ecopsychology? Healing with nature

https://www.ecopsych.com/

Seems a little like forest bathing and a whole lot more. It is simple living in a unique way. What do you think?

If you have had a good experience in Nature you know the joy of its restorative energies. They renew your spirit as they clear your mind and unify you with the beauty of Nature’s life. Don’t be fooled. This is not just recreation. It is re-creation. It is vital and always available yet its importance is continually ignored by Industrial Society.

On average, we are illegally socialized to spend over 99 percent of how we sense, think and feel during our lifetime out of tune with the way the biodiversity of Nature’s perfection works in and around us. We enjoy in-tune connections with our Living Planet for approximately one hour total every five years. Sadly, we turn to artificial replacements for the reasonable satisfactions from nature that we eliminate from most of our life. The substitute imitations produce the detrimental side effects that we suffer.

.As part of the life dance of Nature and Earth, moment-by-moment, we have fifty-four natural senses that are attached to all that has preceded us and all that follows us.
    Our senses that have been wounded by abusive relationships remain wounded. When the incident is remembered, we feel and act out that abuse to avoid experencing the pain again, or we addictivly tranquilize it.
    To avoid this destructive phenomenon, we can learn how to create therapeutic space for our injured senses to happily reattach to the healing wisdom of their origins in Nature’s self-correcting balance and beauty, backyard or back country.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I havent heard this exact word, ecopsychology,but it all makes sense doesn't it?

"On average, we are illegally socialized..."

What does "illegally socialized" mean?

"As part of the life dance of Nature and Earth, moment-by-moment, we have fifty-four natural senses that are attached to all that has preceded us and all that follows us."

What are these 54 senses?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What does "illegally socialized" mean?
    Thank you for asking that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I had not heard of this therapy. I was asking these questions myself so posted the thread to see what others thought or knew.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Interesting. I would definitely like to learn more about this.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Sounds like just one more person trying to make money by selling their own blend of psychobabble, new-ageish ideas, and nature worship to desperate frustrated people.

Bottom Line Quote:

• The ways and means of maverick genius to integrate science and spirit using the essence of Nature’s Unified Field as your teacher and Planet Earth as your textbook.
    • Inexpensive and Funded: Accredited transferable courses $110. Degrees: 18 month Ph.D. $7800. M.S. or B.S. $6000. Use our free “Learn Now, Pay Later” plan.

IMO don't waste your time or money on this.

BTW: I especially like the claim that he's a "maverick genius" and that these are "Accredited transferable courses". Accredited by who??? Transferable to what college or other institution for academic credit toward a degree or an on-going education requirement?

Addendum: Here is a description of an ecopsychology course described in normal college terminology without the bluster and vagueness of that other website: University of Vermont (Syllabus-Intro-to-Ecopsychology PDF) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...W6gyf4y8wQcioD

And a TEDx talk by an Associate Professor at California State University, Northridge who teaches ecopsychology and related subjects: https://tedx.ucla.edu/talks/erica_wo..._to_rewilding/

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Addendum: Here is a description of an ecopsychology course described in normal college terminology without the bluster and vagueness of that other website: University of Vermont (Syllabus-Intro-to-Ecopsychology PDF) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...W6gyf4y8wQcioD

And a TEDx talk by an Associate Professor at California State University, Northridge who teaches ecopsychology and related subjects: https://tedx.ucla.edu/talks/erica_wo..._to_rewilding/
    (Yay, UVM!)

In addition to forest bathing, this idea of ecopsychology also ties in with nature as medicine. I think in Scotland, doctors are writing prescriptions of nature walks for their patients. So, I can totally see it.

While I think it's great to have courses and prescriptions to reinforce the benefits of nature, it's almost a shame it's come to that. It's like saying to someone, you know, if you eat, your body will be strong, or you know, if you breathe, you'll be better off. We are SO disconnected from nature we have to pay money for a course to tell us that it's going to be good for us if we learn to appreciate our connection with it.

Not to minimize the idea of ecopsychology, of course. I'd rather see it offered and taught than not, if it's going to motivate people to practice its benefits.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information